henless' garden, 2018

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
BBQ goat is yum! Goats are very entertaining, as long as you have an escape proof pen to keep them in.

My daughter showed goats in FFA. Her first one, Spanky, was a hoot. He didn't know he was a goat. He was always playing with the dogs and would even crawl up under the trucks and take a nap along with them. She taught him a few tricks, shake hands, take a bow, stuff like that. He was a fun goat.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL - from what I understand, they were originally an accident. A genetic mutation that someone recognized as useful and took advantage of. Running a few 'cheap' fainting goats with the valuable sheep or goats saved them from predators. Wolves rush in, the flock scatters, the fainting goat goes stiff and drops, the wolves get that one and the rest of the flock escapes.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Henless, your garden is just gorgeous!!!! All your plants look to be in the best of health and so very lush in growth.

I love your trellised pumpkins too...will they get big enough to put stress on the vines? The pumpkins I planted want to climb everything but the fruit gets up to 40 lbs or more, so I'm trying to keep them down off the fencing and tomato trellises.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL - from what I understand, they were originally an accident. A genetic mutation that someone recognized as useful and took advantage of. Running a few 'cheap' fainting goats with the valuable sheep or goats saved them from predators. Wolves rush in, the flock scatters, the fainting goat goes stiff and drops, the wolves get that one and the rest of the flock escapes.
Sad but makes sense. Pigeon owners do same. when flying expensive racing birds they fly a few fancy pigeons. The fancys are no where near as fast flyers, any hawk will choose to go after them rather then racers.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Henless, your garden is just gorgeous!!!! All your plants look to be in the best of health and so very lush in growth.

I love your trellised pumpkins too...will they get big enough to put stress on the vines? The pumpkins I planted want to climb everything but the fruit gets up to 40 lbs or more, so I'm trying to keep them down off the fencing and tomato trellises.

Thanks Bee, but it looks a little sad now. Only thing I have on the trellis are the pumpkins. No, they don't get very big at all. More the size of sugar pumpkins. Look up Seminole Hanging Pumpkins for info. The are very similar (likely from the same gene pool), as the Cherokee Tan Pumpkins. The grandparent seeds of my seeds came from the Cherokee Nation Seed Bank.

Sad but makes sense. Pigeon owners do same. when flying expensive racing birds they fly a few fancy pigeons. The fancys are no where near as fast flyers, any hawk will choose to go after them rather then racers.

My Dad had racing pigeons when I was a kid. I don't remember him ever mixing other types with his racers. I do remember going to lots of racing meets. It was fun.

Shout out to you henless! On 149 going to Carthage to deliver half a hog and see friends. Did you see me waving st you?

I wondered who that pretty woman was! You were just 2 miles from my house girl.

Coming back through. You are getting RAIN!!!!! I looked at the weather map and it ain’t happening at our house! Glad you’re getting rain, it will help cool it off.

Rain? Geez except for yesterday when we got 1/2" of rain, I don't remember the last time we got any. It's so dry here it's scary. I don't even know if I'll be able to have a fall garden since it's so dry.

What's going on in the garden... not a lot. My pumpkins are still going strong. I have picked 10 and there is at least another 10 or so on the vines. More grow every day. I have 5 vines, and they have taken over that whole trellis and try to move over to the other 2 trellis'. We haven't eaten any yet, need to let them cure a bit. I hope they are good. If so, I will be planting more next year. Very easy to grow, pest & heat resistant.

IMG_6030.JPG

As you can see, my green beans & cucumbers are gone. Pulled them a couple weeks ago. I have replanted for the fall and they are coming up now.

My okra is going like gangbusters. It has got to be the best summer crop for Texas. It just loves the heat!

IMG_6062.JPG IMG_6061.JPG

I planted some more tomoatos, but I don't know if they are going to make it or not. The sun just cooks them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah ha!

C. moschata, those are related to the pumpkin found in Libby's cans. Related to Butternut.

Of course, they are all related. C. moschata is supposed to be capable of crossing with, at least, some of the other species of squash/pumpkin.

I grew a C. maxima pumpkin last year, Casper, and growing a different one, Autumn Crown, this year. Autumn Crown is listed as a pumpkin in some catalogs and as a squash, in others :). I've had it before -- good eating!

The C. pepo pumpkins keep almost as good as the winter squash in my basement. However, I can't come up with a very good use for them in the kitchen. Oh well, Halloween fun and then it's winter squash and now an idea for a C. moschata.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My cucumbers just gave up. I canned 9 pints of pickles yesterday to add to the stash that I already canned. My purple hull peas are putting on another crop. I need some for us! I put some up, but gave them all to a friend, then DH sold several bushels, so I had to wait for them to bloom again and start over. Should be a pea-picker by next week!

My tomatoes haven't done much, but are regrouping and looks like I will have a good fall crop. This has been a not so great tomato year. I replanted zucchini for another round of zucchini-grape fruit roll-ups and have 3 more baseball bats to cook down.

If I had known where you lived, we would have surprised you! We are not that far apart and should visit each other.

Love the trellis. At least something is growing and thriving in this heat and no rain!

Latest posts