henless' garden, 2018

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@thistlebloom ~ But when it melts, it turns to slop here too!

The sun has been shinning for the last 2 days. Yesterday the garden was still to wet to work in. Not the beds, but all around the beds. I almost lost a shoe again yesterday.

Today wasn't so bad. Still wet, but you didn't feel like you were going to slid all over the place. Of course, we have more rain in the forecast for tonight through Monday. Whoopie :(
I was checking to see how everything looked and noticed my potato's are starting to come up! :ya Always nice to see something new growing. Also noticed my fig trees are starting to show some green. I'm glad something likes all the rain.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It sure has! Cool in the mornings but nice & sunny by midday. It's been nice being able to get out and do a few things. Started mowing yesterday.

My pear & fig trees are leaving out. My 2nd plum tree is starting to flower. I may have to get a 3rd plum since the Santa Rosa isn't blooming at the same time as my Methley. The Methley is almost finished blooming.

Worked the soil in one of my beds this morning. All the rain has really compacted it down. Going to have to add to it so that it doesn't get so hard. Hoping to put up another bed this weekend.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom ~ But when it melts, it turns to slop here too!

The sun has been shinning for the last 2 days. Yesterday the garden was still to wet to work in. Not the beds, but all around the beds. I almost lost a shoe again yesterday.

Today wasn't so bad. Still wet, but you didn't feel like you were going to slid all over the place. Of course, we have more rain in the forecast for tonight through Monday. Whoopie :(
I was checking to see how everything looked and noticed my potato's are starting to come up! :ya Always nice to see something new growing. Also noticed my fig trees are starting to show some green. I'm glad something likes all the rain.

yay taters! :) and sunshine... :)

in gardens here i often have extra pair of shoes, one for mud, other for walking on paths so i'm not tracking mud all over. have left shoes behind in mud so many times... sometimes have worked barefoot instead because it was much easier than having to stop and scrape off the shoes every few steps. luckily things do improve, plus top mulching and no-till/low-till saves a lot of mess.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
DH & I completed another bed over the weekend. Put in my cardboard & leaves and he put in a couple buckets of top soil. I worked in some compost and peat moss today to loosen it up. I have a wheel barrow full of chicken compost to add, but since it's going to rain over the next couple of days, I'll add it later.

IMG_5611.JPG

Here are my potatoes from last weekend. They are even larger now. After I harvest these, I want to plant sweet potato slips in this bed. I'm planning on growing my own slips, but where do you get the sweet potato from? Just get an organic one from the store?

IMG_5614.JPG

I was planning on doing some more planting this weekend, but just depends on the weather. May have to wait till next week to start putting in my peppers and tomatoes.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks Bay :)

On Sat, I planted my sweet potato to get my slips started. I've never grown slips, so I hope it works. I also potted up my yellow pear tomato and tangerine dream pepper in bigger pots. I plan on putting those on the front porch to grow. I have an extra of each one that I'm going to give to my Mom for her to grow.

I got the ground broke up by the back porch. I'm going to plant my brandywine's here and my amish paste in the garden. I hope to save seeds from both for next year. I also put compost out around most of my fruit trees. My leaves on my fig trees are just coming out, but I already have little baby figs on my 2 older trees.

Here's an update on my potato bed. They are starting to grow.

IMG_5623.JPG

Today, DH & I put up my tomato trellis. I got the tomatoes, peppers and some herbs planted in this bed today. Also moved some garlic chives and flat leafed parsley over from my old herb bed.

IMG_5627.JPG

As soon as we get the next bed in, I hope to put up arches for the last 2 beds. I want to grow my beans, cantaloupe, cucumbers and pumpkins on them. We never did get any rain this weekend, so going to be watering time on Monday.

Latest posts