henless' garden, 2018

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dh & I got the wire put up for the muscadines. As wet as it is and with another chill coming this weekend, I'll probably hold off on planting them.

I got my last bed amended today. I added a bale of peat moss and a wheelbarrow full of chicken compost. I'll be planting lettuce, spinach and kale under the cp trellis'.

Noticed that one of my new asparagus crowns has sent up a shoot. Once they poke through the dirt, they sure do grow fast.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Texas Woods Asparagus.......green briar tips. I break them off and snack on them all the time. I've brought them in the house, sautéed with butter and garlic, they were good! LOL LOL LOL

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup, that's the one.

We cut briars out of a small pasture that were 20+ feet high and so thick that there were dead standing trees that couldn't even fall down.

briar 6.JPG

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I bet that was a mess to clean up! I had a section of fence that was covered in peppervine that was almost as bad.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got my latest chicken coop finished, now I can get out there in the garden! I guess it's a good thing we both have run a little behind this year with the crazy frost weather we've had.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know Bay, hasn't it been unusual? Here it is the 3rd week of April and we still use the heat some days. We usually have the ac on by middle of March. It was 32 degrees here last Sunday. Seems like the Earth is going through one of it's "cool" periods. May have to change the way we plant for the next few years.

DH is supposed to take me to town tomorrow to pick up my last cattle panel. It may be a little late, but thought about planting some turnips, broccoli & cabbage under it and see how they do.

I did get my Tangerine Dream pepper & Yellow Pear tomato planted in my big porch pots today. While I was doing that, DH was a dear and weed eated the garden and chicken coops for me. Of course, while he was in slaughter mode, he waked my blue Butterfly bush to the ground. A few stems were left, so maybe it will come back. :hit

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had to laugh about the bush......they try so hard but they still screw up. :lol: We had the heat on this morning.....:th