Hens are on strike

StonyGarden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
They are around 12 months of age.

They are in a dry lot (no grass). They get layer pellets and treats/leftovers. I actually think they are a little on the thin side.

Temps have been in the 80s-90s range with maybe a week of upper 90s-low 100s.

They definitely are a lazy bunch. They typically hang out underneath the tarps in the run (in the shade).

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think at least part of the problem is heat related. If possible, I would check for eggs several times during the day. If you have an egg eater- you might catch her, or at least grab the eggs before she does. As stated- they may have found an alternative spot to lay. Check all around. I wouldn't send 1 year old hens to the freezer. I have several hens molting right now. Good luck!

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hmmm....my flock has went on egg strike with the heat lately. They are just trying to stay cool. I let the 7 adult hens out with one rooster, for them to free range and find shade. I also only feed a scoop of dry feed in the early morning...let them free range through the day. Depending on what I have available, in the hot weather they get fruit or cool veggies for treats midday. Cucumbers, lettuce, watermelon, etc....
I feed them all fermented feed when it cools off....around 5 or 6 pm. I think they just stop laying due to heat stresses. But during the heat like this, I just focus more on keeping any from succumbing to the heat and dying. They pick right back up when it cools off a bit.
Today was heat index of 107F. I got 2 eggs.....and they were from 1 yr old pullets.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can freeze watermelon rind, cantaloupe peelings, cucumbers, for "chicken popsicles"!! They love them and it cools them off. I keep a shallow black plastic tub in the coop for the girls to wade in. The blood circulating through their feet and legs cools off in the water and helps to cool off the rest of their feathered body.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have noticed the rooster like to dig a hole in the mud in the shade and stand in it. It cools their feet, which cools the rest of them.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot, I water them a mudhole every evening so they will have cool earth to dig in the next day.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Might work...when DH gets me a water line run back to the coop. The coop is 120' away from the nearest water line at the moment. He just last weekend bought the PVC pipe and fittings to get it run. We just can't get the hydrant for the end of it. He says it is ordered. We'll see. The last two times he has ordered it from amazon, the seller cancelled the order both times.
Right now, I lug buckets back to the pen. The pen has 3 gallon waterers, and one 3 gallon waterer. it usually takes me about an hour to run water to the pen, and the 2 chicken tractors. I'm gonna feel spoiled with a spigot close enough to run a hose off of. :lol:

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i take gallon milk and water jugs and half to 3/4 way full of water and freeze them. i use large dog dishes and will fill with water in the morning and set the frozen jug in the middle to keep their water cold during the day. as the day gets warmer the outside of the jug may get condensation on it but it will help keep their water cool so they will drink it.

but i also like to give them refrigerated watermelon and cantaloupe on hot days. that way they get something in their bellies that help cool them. during hot weather my girls tend to lay 'rubber' or shell less eggs. heat stroke can have after affects that can last weeks after they are exposed to it. so keep an eye on them.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Might work...when DH gets me a water line run back to the coop. The coop is 120' away from the nearest water line at the moment. He just last weekend bought the PVC pipe and fittings to get it run. We just can't get the hydrant for the end of it. He says it is ordered. We'll see. The last two times he has ordered it from amazon, the seller cancelled the order both times.
Right now, I lug buckets back to the pen. The pen has 3 gallon waterers, and one 3 gallon waterer. it usually takes me about an hour to run water to the pen, and the 2 chicken tractors. I'm gonna feel spoiled with a spigot close enough to run a hose off of. :lol:
A water spigot? :celebratewon't you be a first class redneck chicken farmer then!!!

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In Sc I will :clap It got up to 100.7 this afternoon. Heat Index was 110. :hide

Latest posts