Hens are on strike

StonyGarden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It's hot today with a hurricane headed this way. The hurricane shouldn't hit us straight on but I am taking precautions anyways. Chicken water-ers will be topped off this evening as well as rabbit water-ers. I have 3 5-gallon buckets I'm going to fill just in case as well.

The tarps on top of the chicken run will be re-enforced with more zip ties. The coop should be good. The winds shouldn't be too bad. The rabbits have tarps that are tied from the top of the hutches to the top of the fence surrounding the hutches to allow for shade and air flow. This evening the tarps will be tied down to the hutch to keep rain off of them. Tomorrow morning the tarps will be lifted.

My fiancée thinks I overreact about the weather. I'd rather be safe than sorry and loose all my rabbits/chickens.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
For hurricanes, I fill up plastic trash cans with lids, full of water for watering animals. Inside, I fill up pots and line 5 gallon buckets up in the bathtub for flushing, if needed.

Be sure to bake a pan of brownies and have some wine on hand....... that way, if calamity strikes, brownies are great comfort food and the wine.....well.... drink enough and you just won't care anyway. :gig

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was SURE my girls were on strike - or that I had an egg eater.
Then I decided to clean out the coop and when I moved the nestbox - there were almost 20 eggs stashed behind it!!! Some sneaky little girl had found a cozy place to lay and everyone else seemed to have agreeed.

Gaz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I wonder if the heat is what is causing my girls to go slow too :{ I have wondered about a another laying place....as our free range the entire farm.

Still its sad to see just a few eggs instead of a full carton worth!

Latest posts