Hey friends! Southern Indiana

Nenebynature

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome from NY Now a very important question, what is the employee discount you get from nursery? I have this dream of getting a job at nursery just for the discount.:thumbsup I love clearance plants.

I adore clearance plants. I usually only buy plants if they are clearanced. Unless I get them at wholesale prices. I got to go on a buying trip this spring and my brain went haywire!!

I often take hours off of my pay in exchange for plants all the time. I get the family discount. So I'm pretty spoiled but I work hard.
It is a dream job and not just for the discount. The nursery is also actually a sculpture garden and Arboretum. Even weeding is a good time. We have families come out all the time to walk and visit. We also have events like festivals and bands. I feel so fortunate to have such a great outlet.

Nenebynature

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I got these white coneflowers from the Home Depot for $1.25 each. The baptisia was a trade. The lilies I got for two bucks because they were bloomed out (I'm patient). The rose bushes were 6 bucks each. @Nyboy. I'm with you on the clearance plants all the way!!!

Please ignore my satellite collection and the fallen hammock. I'm so redneck sometimes.

In the back ground you can see our garden!! My neighbors started it and I contributed plants and sweat equity.

IMG_0229.JPG

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got these white coneflowers from the Home Depot for $1.25 each. The baptisia was a trade. The lilies I got for two bucks because they were bloomed out (I'm patient). The rose bushes were 6 bucks each. @Nyboy. I'm with you on the clearance plants all the way!!!

Please ignore my satellite collection and the fallen hammock. I'm so redneck sometimes.

In the back ground you can see our garden!! My neighbors started it and I contributed plants and sweat equity.

View attachment 21236

Oh yeah, you fit in here perfectly! :lol:

What you've got there is what we affectionately refer to as a "plant ghetto", but yours is much smaller (and neater ) than mine usually is. You're just going to have to try harder I guess! haha

Nenebynature

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! A fallen hammock...... maybe you should put it back up, lay back in it and watch the clouds go by! A hammock sounds like a good idea. I have satellites too, the price we pay for living in the sticks.
the funny thing is, i dont even have service to any of them. my husband had to have football channel when we first moved out but then we never renewed it. i guess they dont want them anymore so now i have a collection!

Nenebynature

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! A fallen hammock...... maybe you should put it back up, lay back in it and watch the clouds go by! A hammock sounds like a good idea. I have satellites too, the price we pay for living in the sticks.

My husband got the hammock as a christmas gift a few years ago and he loved it. funny story...he tried to hang it with 1" o-bolts because he lost the straps...if you know anything about hammocks you know that those bolts wont hold a kitten much less a person...he was so proud and yelled "come on babe" as he jumped on:smack
he and the hammock fell to the ground instantly...goof ball. (where is the head slap emoji?) my nephew found some ratchet straps and those have been holding it up since. until this year...actually it fell the same weekend i lost the trees in my yard. i have since found the straps and have plans to rehang it....maybe that needs to move to the top of my todo list. ive had a really rough summer and i need more hammock time in my life.

Nenebynature

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh yeah, you fit in here perfectly! :lol:

What you've got there is what we affectionately refer to as a "plant ghetto", but yours is much smaller (and neater ) than mine usually is. You're just going to have to try harder I guess! haha

hahahahaha! weeeelllll you didnt see it last week before i had company over!!

"plant ghetto" i love it!!

my girlfriends looked around and said geez lady you have a lot of pots! i felt that i needed to apologize or something! non plant people just dont understand! they collect other things i think are silly...i collect plants. and that is just fine with me!

Nenebynature

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Once almost Dec super clearance, I got my favorite hydrangea bushes for $3 bought them all

i really feel like you appreciate collecting plants much more if you have to work at it a bit or if you look for sales. i have such great stories behind some of my plants. If i just went out and bought things full price they wouldnt be as loved. also, sometimes you find the best plants when you arent even looking!

Nenebynature

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Once almost Dec super clearance, I got my favorite hydrangea bushes for $3 bought them all

One year, at my old house, my husband and i decided we wanted to plant a hedge of burning bushes...we waited and waited for them to go on sale so we could afford to do it. Well, one day we got a call that they were on a super clearance at the lowes and after a LONG HOT day at the zoo (in August) with four of our nieces and nephews, he decided to stop and get a couple...i waited in the old family van with the kids. He came out with a grin the size of Texas pulling a cart with 17 bushes....he bought them out because they were only 2 bucks a piece. He thought i would be stoked! i couldn't even be mad...i just laughed until i cried. how in Hades we fit all of those plants in and around the kids, i have no idea!! he didn't understand how big they got and how hard it is to plant ANYTHING in clay soil in the middle of August. good gravy. we planted and nursed what we could and gave away the rest. such is life

Of course after my master gardening training, i now know how invasive they are and just shake my head and laugh at the memory. bless his heart.