Hi everyone (Smiles)

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm your old buddy's son (I'll try to come up with a screen name someday). My dad always signed in here as Smiles and I have been working with some of his stuff that was left behind after his passing. I knew that The Easy Garden was his favorite discussion forum and that he felt that you guys were family. Dad struggled terribly in his last few months of life but he also mentioned you folks at the most unusual times. I guess he had fond memories of this forum. I'll share some of his goofy comments about y'all in the future. I'm sure you will enjoy.

If it's OK with you folks I would like to come here from time to time to learn and share with y'all. My wife and I are planning to move into the old homeplace here sometime in November or December. Dad's garden(s) are a total mess and the barns are in dire need of maintenance but I look forward to the challenge. Dad was, without a doubt, the most upbeat and positive man I've ever known. He woke up early to see the sunrise every day regardless of the weather. He always said that dawn was God's gift to get us going on the right foot each day. He had been working on fixing up an old greenhouse here at the homeplace (one that had been destroyed by a tornado many years ago) when he got sick, so I think that will be my first gardening related project. There are a bazillion more important things to be done around here before winter sets in though.

I had a hard time figuring out his passwords to websites but just a couple weeks ago I discovered that he had all passwords and screen names in a password-protected spreadsheet. Luckily he did not go to many websites or else I would be trying to figure it out for the next three years.

Please let me know if you feel like I'm an intrusion but I love gardening, farming, and livestock and this seems like a very good place discuss the trials and rewards of a self-sufficient lifestyle.

Later

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about your father's passing. I did not know him, but he sounds like a wonderful man. You and your wife are most welcome to visit here with us and share your garden projects, or just chat with us about anything and everything that comes up.

Thank you for checking in!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i was wondering how Smiles was doing. I am sorry to hear about his passing.

i don't mind you using his name since i saw it i thought he was back. it is still nice to have the update and i think that was the easiest way to get everyone's attention on here!

there are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people on here so feel free to bring up any ideas or questions you might have! most of us are also on the sister sites to TEG like BackYardChickens, BackYardHerds and SufficientSelf.

good luck and happy growing!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about your father. He's the one that first got me to post a photo of my granddaughter on here. It was obvious he loved kids and she had a big smile in that photo I thought he'd enjoy.

I think this forum is a good place to make friends. There are not a lot of us on here regularly so we get used to each other. We have a lot of different goals and methods and we are scattered all over, but the people that stick around are good people. We'd be pleased to have you join us, either regular or part-time.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just having a frustrating moment here at home, impatiently having to deal with the daily weekly monthly things that weren't working out so well this time around. Now, a little light comes on to show me what is really important.

Thank You for sharing information about your father. So very often, he brought a smile. Right now, I could really use one ...

We aren't expecting you to replace him. There is a thread around here where we were suggesting avatars Smiles could use. The one you have now is something he put up only on his last one or two posts ... there it is! There is a smile.

I hope you continue looking forward to what you will be enjoying and working on at the homeplace. It will be a great experience for us if you share some of that. Maybe, we can help lighten the jobs a little for you.

Sincerely,
Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to come share with us, even the sad news of your father's passing. How nice that you'll be taking over his property and gardens, you'll have a daily reminder of him and his positive outlook on life. I'm really looking forward to your reminiscing about him with us here.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's uncanny that I was thinking about Smiles this morning and hoping he was still hanging in there. I'm sorry to hear of his passing, but trust that he is now enjoying being with the Maker of every dawn.

It's wonderful that you have come here to let us know about our friend, and even more so that you will be hanging out with us. :hugs

I think it's a testament to your dad that you are taking care of the homeplace, and restoring the things that were meaningful to him.

I'm really looking forward to having you join us. Thanks so much for going to all the time and trouble it must have taken to figure out how to get here on your dads screen name. I was so excited to see that he had posted again.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss, but glad you're Dad is not suffering any more.

I'm glad you found your way here. It's a great group,of people who will be happy to help anyway we can. Don't hesitate to ask

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got so excited when I saw this post and thought Smiles was back. Now, I feel so sad but I'm so glad that you made the effort to find us and keep us posted. Please stay with us, it will make it feel like smiles is still with us in a way. I would love to see you use Smiles2 as your login name. This way it won't feel like you are trying to replace him (which is impossible) but that you are carrying on with his works. He would be so proud of you knowing you were walking in his footsteps in caring for what was dear to his heart.

You will love this group of very nice people who will become like a family in no time.

Mary

Latest posts