Hi everyone (Smiles)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Thank You so much for letting us know that are dear friend Smiles is no longer with us. I have lump in my throat and tears as I type this. Your Dad and I never met other than here at TEG. Yet I would call him a dear friend. Thistle, Jarred and Mary said it well. I echo their sentiments. Smiles2 would be a fabulous user name. :) Your Dad will be terribly missed. Let me know if you would like some seed from the heirloom tomatoes he shared with me a few years ago. I think of him every time we eat one of those tomatoes.
:hugs

pjn

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your loss. Thank you for letting us know. He will be missed here as well as in all the other lives that he touched.
Looking forward to you sharing.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm your old buddy's son (I'll try to come up with a screen name someday). My dad always signed in here as Smiles and I have been working with some of his stuff that was left behind after his passing. I knew that The Easy Garden was his favorite discussion forum and that he felt that you guys were family. Dad struggled terribly in his last few months of life but he also mentioned you folks at the most unusual times. I guess he had fond memories of this forum. I'll share some of his goofy comments about y'all in the future. I'm sure you will enjoy. ......... Please let me know if you feel like I'm an intrusion but I love gardening, farming, and livestock and this seems like a very good place discuss the trials and rewards of a self-sufficient lifestyle.

Later
Welcome, @Smiles II, I am happy to have you here just as yourself and doubly because you are a part of Smiles' life. I don't doubt everyone else is in agreement. Thank you for sharing the sad news. I know he was in my mind often and others here expressed worry and affection when he didn't post for a while.

I read your post with teary eyes, because, yes, we do feel like friends in a very short while here. His bright personality will be missed here on TEG.

Welcome to you and your wife as you undertake the task of relocating, rebuilding and making the 'family home' your very own.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I wouldn't mind if you posted here as " @Grump ."

We would still remember @Smiles , all who read his posts and understood a little or a lot of what he was doing and going through.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why, @digitS', the opposite of @Smiles is not Grump! I doubt Smiles would raise a son to be a grump anyway. Smile's son will come up with a name suitable for himself in due time and we will make friends with him and his wife the old fashioned way. Through interaction on this wonderful site.

Last edited:

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. I'm brand new here, so I didn't know your father. But I think it's very wonderful that you and your wife will be taking over your dad's place and welcome you to the forum.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh...my heart skipped a beat when I saw a post from "Smiles." So very sorry to hear of his passing. And very happy to meet you and looking forward to hearing of your gardening adventures. How lovely to pick up where he left off, in the garden. A growing legacy...very nice.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remembering Smiles with Love.

6486_leave_them_with_love.jpg

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Please accept my sympathy on the loss of your dad. We really missed his comments and cheerfulness on here, and it hurt all of us to know he was suffering. May I ask when he passed?
I welcome you to this forum, with everyone else. So glad to have you take up Smiles' gardening journey.
On a similar note, I lost my mother this spring, and now I find myself unexpectly taking up quilting, which was one of her favorite things to do before she got too ill. I was never interested in it before. Go figure.

Latest posts