Hi everyone (Smiles)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss. We sure miss him and wondered how he was doing. Thank you so much for your kindness in letting us know. I like how Thistle put it about the Maker of those beautiful sunrises. Eye hath not seen... What a comfort to know.

You are more than welcome here! :hugs We'll look forward to hearing how your endeavors go as you take on the restoration of your family farm. What a wonderful way to carry on his memory.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Like everyone else, I was excited to see this post. I am so sorry that your father is gone. But he lives on in you every day. It is heartwarming that you came here to let us know about him. Please come visit with us often and keep us updated on the progress of working on the farm. We will be delighted to help you any way we can.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I peeked in here yesterday and I was amazed to see all the replies. Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I found something very interesting in Dad's desktop folder here on his computer. He has a folder named SMILES and a subfolder named SM SMILES. There are hundreds of pictures (jpg files) of people smiling. And in the SM SMILES folder these photos are reduced in size for use as avatars (about 100pix x 100pix). I'm sure these were all meant to be used here at TEG. It took me a long time to figure out what I was finding. But I can see that the avatar in this post is in the collection and if I could go back in time to see earlier avatars they would be from the SM SMILES folder, too.

Also I found, out in one of the barns where dad did his garden stuff, small packages of seeds that look like he was getting ready to mail to people. There is a note pad out there with names and addresses with notes about what kinds of seeds people wanted. There must be 100 names on the list. Dad was proud of his heirloom seed collections and took lots of pains to properly collect new seeds every year. This past spring he wanted so badly to get his gardens going but he was just too sick. Sometimes he would go out to a garden and just sit on a bench and look at the soil. Then when mom died he lost all interest in life. He died just three months after mom.

It looks like the mice have had a feast on some of the seeds out there. Envelopes are chewed and little paper cups are spilled everywhere. It sure would be nice if each tiny seed had a label on it. I don't know what's what.

If you're interested, I'll stop in from time to time and let you know how things are going here at the homeplace.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Please come back anytime and let us know how things are going for you. We will be glad to give you any help we can in figuring out how to make the garden grow. Give yourself a screen name and let us get to know you. We would love to see you become a regular here. Don't just lurk, thinking that you don't know enough about gardening to have anything to say. If that were the case, we'd all have to shut up!

You are home. This forum, these people, this place, is your home.

Mi Casa Es Su Casa
( a Spanish saying that we use in Texas that means My house is your house)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh dear....I lost both of my parents close together too last fall. Mom died first and dad followed 56 days later. Please accept my deepest sympathy. :hugs

I hope you do visit us often.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You may know a good deal already about what you are up to and be of help to the gardeners here.

My mother died 7 years ago and in most ways, I lost my father 2 years later. He will be 97 this winter.

You are in a stage of transition right now. Be very kind to yourself. Thank you for sharing somethings about your father. He meant and means a lot to us.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry. I did not know about your mom passing too. :(

How endearing that he wanted to share his seed collection so freely and all those smiles on his computer. Your dad is someone we'd all have been blessed to know in person as well. Praying for you and your family!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your dad (Smiles) was always changing his avatar with someone smiling. He kept us on our toes with that. I'm so sorry for you losing both so soon. Please stay with us, sometimes gardening can be very theraputic. Know that your dad was very much loved here by his TEG friends.

Mary

Latest posts