Hope I Am Not Getting Sick

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Seasonal" allergies trouble me every year. The more days that I am outside, the more difficulty I have drawing an untroubled breath.

kof ~ sneeze ~ sniff

The dry air of late summer probably makes everything worse but, after never fully recovering in the fall, the December cold I had just seemed like it could have been expected. Then, another bad cold in January. Unfortunately, DW was catching these infections from me! When the sinuses plugged up in February, I thought I'd better try something different.

I used that Zicam pre-cold to some good effect. Still, the sneezing never really stopped. I don't like taking antihistamines all the time. The most effective ones, the doctor doesn't want me to take.

So, I began using Flonase. Hey! No more sneezing. I respond well to steroids for skin rashes; maybe this is about the same ...

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, Steve, Flonase usually works good for those upper respiratory symptoms for me; the sneezing, itchy eyes and stuffed up nose.

I heard on TV that one reason the allergies are so bad this year is due to the cold spring. Now that it is warmer, all the early pollen makers as well as the later pollen makers are producing at once.

I do think our allergies are getting worse over the years. Is it because our bodies can't handle it, or because the pollen gets worse? My "sure bet" Allegra is not working this year. I feel more like I have pneumonia than allergies.
Zyzal is being advertised heavily around here. I may try some of that.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just reading about air pollution and diet.

We hear about air pollution but the information is often muted by the continuous drumbeat on economic prosperity!! Trade-off. But, what does bad air do to our bodies?

One thing, the known allergens and carcinogens, etc. should be eliminated after being taken in. Okay. Is there a way to help clear out the damaging chemicals through diet?

Researchers from John Hopkins University went to an area of China with severely polluted air to see if consuming broccoli sprouts would show increased elimination of benzene, a known carcinogen. The findings showed that elimination increased an average of 61% from the first day of the trial!! (click) Wow.

12-week trial, 291 participants

cruciferous vegetables and diet .

Steve

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you take a spoonful of raw, LOCAL honey every day it will also help. The bees make the honey out of local pollens, and helps your body to understand it is not a threat. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Seasonal" allergies trouble me every year. The more days that I am outside, the more difficulty I have drawing an untroubled breath.

kof ~ sneeze ~ sniff

The dry air of late summer probably makes everything worse but, after never fully recovering in the fall, the December cold I had just seemed like it could have been expected. Then, another bad cold in January. Unfortunately, DW was catching these infections from me! When the sinuses plugged up in February, I thought I'd better try something different.

I used that Zicam pre-cold to some good effect. Still, the sneezing never really stopped. I don't like taking antihistamines all the time. The most effective ones, the doctor doesn't want me to take.

So, I began using Flonase. Hey! No more sneezing. I respond well to steroids for skin rashes; maybe this is about the same ...

Steve

when i come in from outside i wash my face, rinse out my eyes and sinuses and that helps me so much i don't need any drugs and avoid sinus infections. if i haven't been wearing a hat i also wipe down or wash my hair, usually i do wear a hat so this isn't a normal issue - it keeps from putting the pollen on your pillows. so perhaps changing pillow cases more often might also help. anyways, ever since i've been doing this i think i've had one summer cold or sinus crud. usually i would be sick from dandelion, tree, grass, lilacs, etc. pollen season until the middle of summer.

i still get a runny nose when i'm outside and there's stuff in the air, but i let it drip and keep a towel handy, but once i get back inside it all gets rinsed out and i stop having sneezy runny nose pretty quickly.

dry air is worse for me than humidity. my sinuses do much better in the summer than comparison to the winter when things are so dry.

well, to make this even shorter (ha!) i hope you recover soon from the crud whatever it might be. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
rinse out my eyes and sinuses and that helps me so much ... dry air is worse for me than humidity.

Well, I use a washcloth on the face ... dry air here seems to do a little more damage as the weeks of summer pass.

There was a moment during early retirement when I thought that I might finally have achieved morning showering status. It was short-lived. Once in awhile, I shower in the morning. Always wash my face with baby shampoo. And, can't remember the last time that I sneaked into bed without an evening shower.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have local honey in my hot cereal several times a week, @AMKuska . That may not help enuf. Could give up apricot jam and use it on bread and biscuits.

I'm not so bad, yet. Or, wasn't when I started the flonase. It's just not normal for me to have respiratory problems until late summer but the allergies have probably been getting worse each year.

This area doesn't have the cleanest summer air. Too easily, dust is lifted from the Columbia Basin, wildfires burn, and this valley is only about 5 miles wide but hosts an interstate highway and several 100,000's of residents!

Honestly, the winter air isn't good either!

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
my suggestion on rinsing out eyes/sinuses is meant to remove the things that would otherwise cause more reactions from your body if they just sit there until you hit the shower... it has helped me a great deal so worth a shot perhaps...

Latest posts