Horseraddish

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I gotta say that my issue with horseradish has been getting rid of it. Once you've got these plants . . .

And, I like horseradish sauce - on roast beef. Wasabi is good, too! A jar will last DW and me quite awhile and the wasabi jar may as well be the smallest possible (Xmng! :p).

Dad used to make horseradish sauce (in the simplest fashion possible). I was never an admirer of his efforts and noticed that he began the long, concerted work needed to get rid of it in his garden a few years ago.

I enjoy having the Queen Anne's Lace growing around the garden where I don't mow. It really attracts the bees. Oh, they love it :)!! But, I don't save carrot seed.

Steve

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
candyd said:
carrots will cross with Queen Annes Lace and it makes them yucky!

Well I learned something today. I never have ever heard this. I have had a garden for years too. I now will be much more observant around the garden area.

Thanks! :thumbsup
No,no,no!

While carrots can cross with Queen Anne's Lace , they do not make them yucky unless you are growing them from seed that you saved from the plants.
Carrots are grown as annuals even though they are biennials(2 year).
You plant the seed, it becomes a carrot and you harvest it in the same growing season. The only way QAL could play into this is by cross pollinating the flower in the second year and affecting the seed that you would gather to save to plant.
Even if you saved seed from your carrots without QAL being around, they probably wouldn't grow true because they are hybrids.

One way QAL could affect your carrots is by harboring pests that attack carrots but unless you are growing the carrots in the same soil where QAL was previously grown that has a slim to none chance of happening.

For the average gardener growing carrots from a pkt of seeds there is no danger from Queen Anne's Lace. I have it all over the place and harvest fantastic 3" thick chantenay carrots.

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I gotta say that my issue with horseradish has been getting rid of it. Once you've got these plants . . .

And, I like horseradish sauce - on roast beef. Wasabi is good, too! A jar will last DW and me quite awhile and the wasabi jar may as well be the smallest possible (Xmng! :p).

Dad used to make horseradish sauce (in the simplest fashion possible). I was never an admirer of his efforts and noticed that he began the long, concerted work needed to get rid of it in his garden a few years ago.

I enjoy having the Queen Anne's Lace growing around the garden where I don't mow. It really attracts the bees. Oh, they love it :)!! But, I don't save carrot seed.

Steve
Hey Steve!
I prepare a grated horseradish with salt and vinegar and then use it to make an amazing horseradish dip for chips. I whip a pint of heavy whipping cream and fold in a cup of miracle whip, fold in 1/2 c or more of prepared horseradish and chill.

My family packed on 1/2" of fresh grated horseradish on a pot roast and then baked it. It's one of those things where ya either love it or ya don't.
The exception for me is the horseradish flavored Jelly Belly beans! :tongue

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
rockytopsis said:
Sylvie, are you farther north than Tennessee? I just don't think horseradish does well here.

Mine gets beautiful leaves in the spring and then dies. I have dug the roots and they are never nothing more than pencil sized. I have them planted in 2 tractor trailer tires that are stacked one on top of the other so the roots should have a easy time and it is full of good dirt.

Any suggestions as to how I can get mine to do better? I would love to be able to produce my own as DH and I love the stuff, well I do and he sometimes. LOL

Nancy
I am on the shores of Lake Erie with wet clay soil. My neighbor has dry sandy soil and we both grow horseradish. Her sand poses more of a problem for horseradish spreading. Horseradish grows to zone 9. I don't know your zone.

If you are fertilizing it with anything with a high nitrogen, stop. For the root to develop it needs more of a potassium heavy applicaton or the 3rd number. Nitrogen will just go to the leaves and leave the roots small. If you've been fertilizing it may take a bit for it to recover.
Try watering more. Are your roots full of tunnels? If not, then water. If so, then I'd start all over with new soil and roots.

candyd

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you for making this clear for me. Since I dont save seeds, I wont worry :):):)

No,no,no!

While carrots can cross with Queen Anne's Lace ,

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sylvie said:
candyd said:
carrots will cross with Queen Annes Lace and it makes them yucky!

Well I learned something today. I never have ever heard this. I have had a garden for years too. I now will be much more observant around the garden area.

Thanks! :thumbsup
No,no,no!

While carrots can cross with Queen Anne's Lace , they do not make them yucky unless you are growing them from seed that you saved from the plants.
Carrots are grown as annuals even though they are biennials(2 year).
You plant the seed, it becomes a carrot and you harvest it in the same growing season. The only way QAL could play into this is by cross pollinating the flower in the second year and affecting the seed that you would gather to save to plant.
Even if you saved seed from your carrots without QAL being around, they probably wouldn't grow true because they are hybrids.

One way QAL could affect your carrots is by harboring pests that attack carrots but unless you are growing the carrots in the same soil where QAL was previously grown that has a slim to none chance of happening.

For the average gardener growing carrots from a pkt of seeds there is no danger from Queen Anne's Lace. I have it all over the place and harvest fantastic 3" thick chantenay carrots.
It was me not candyd who said the QAL would make the carrots yucky. My bad! You are correct that it will only matter if you are saving seed.

Latest posts