Horseradish- now what???

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Any recipes I find say- expect to cry... Sounds like a good project to do out on the deck! I do love horseradish!!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wife...what are you using for the fermentation starter?
Just get some yogurt. You can stir it up and let it separate and then pour off the liquid or actually pour the yogurt in to a piece of cheese cloth and let it drain that way. The liquid that comes off the yogurt is whey loaded with healthy cultures.

Sometimes when I don't have time for the draining I just directly mix a few tablespoons of yogurt in to my ferments.

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Just get some yogurt. You can stir it up and let it separate and then pour off the liquid or actually pour the yogurt in to a piece of cheese cloth and let it drain that way. The liquid that comes off the yogurt is whey loaded with healthy cultures.

Sometimes when I don't have time for the draining I just directly mix a few tablespoons of yogurt in to my ferments.
Just make sure it is a live culture, plain yogurt without added pectin or gums or anything like that...it won't drain. Trust me.

I made a horseradish mustard last year and have one small jar left. Time to dig up the horseradish and make another batch! Fermented, of course. Yum. Live cultures are excellent for the digestive tract...white vinegar is not. The fermenting will get the sour taste and you don't need vinegar. What you do need is a cool place to store it, like a good root cellar or a fridge. We have a fermenting fridge in the basement. Full of live ferments like dill pickles and sauerkraut, mustards, hot peppers, salsas, etc. It is amazingly easy. I can't believe more people aren't using this food preservation method! It would put Tums out of business!

chicken stalker

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
freemotion said:
wifezilla said:

Just make sure it is a live culture, plain yogurt without added pectin or gums or anything like that...it won't drain. Trust me.

I made a horseradish mustard last year and have one small jar left. Time to dig up the horseradish and make another batch! Fermented, of course. Yum. Live cultures are excellent for the digestive tract...white vinegar is not. The fermenting will get the sour taste and you don't need vinegar. What you do need is a cool place to store it, like a good root cellar or a fridge. We have a fermenting fridge in the basement. Full of live ferments like dill pickles and sauerkraut, mustards, hot peppers, salsas, etc. It is amazingly easy. I can't believe more people aren't using this food preservation method! It would put Tums out of business!
Is the 1/2 inch liquid that is on the Stonybrook Yogurts considered live? I could easily dump that off.
Free--what's your recipe?

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes, that is whey! You can also strain the yogurt through a layer or two of cloth to get more, and make a nice, thick yo-cheese.

I'm still trying to locate my recipe that I used last year, but what on earth did I do with it??? I'm pretty sure I just used the mustard recipe from Nourishing Traditions and added fresh horseradish that I ground up in the food processor. I'll keep looking. I want to make some, too.

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Duh! It was on the fermenting thread on SufficientSelf.com, of course. Here it is:

Hmmm....no measuring really took place. It hasn't been tasted yet, either, and I suspect it will be WAY to hot! It could be cut with fresh mayo when serving, though, or drained kefir or sour cream or whatever is handy.

1.5 c mustard powder
1 T honey
3 T sea salt
1/3 cup whey
a hunk of horseradish root, about a pound before peeling and trimming. Mince in food processor.
1/2 c filtered water
juice of two lemons
2 T garlic powder or fresh, minced garlic

Mix all and put into a two quart jar, ferment at room temp for three days.
It got better and better with age. I repacked it into several half-pint jars so most could stay in my basement fridge and my upstairs fridge would be more reasonable.... :rolleyes:

saym

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:somad This is my thrid year doing horseradish...I just went on line and asked google how to harvest the stuff ...So far I have been happy with the results, just dig up aroot or two,,clean and peel it chop it , and then use your food processor..I will always remember a friend of mine that burned up a blender trying to pulverize horseradish, so I have been careful to use a good processor..anyway..just pulverize/puree...I leave mine in a course puree ( what else would you call it??!!)like finely minced garlic?? and then get small canning jars and fill them , then top off with white vinegar, put the tops on and store in the very back of the refrigerator. I gave a way a bunch last year, so this year I just dug up one big root and processed that as noone asked for more this year ...hmmm anyway I am pretty sure you can freez it with no problem.. I have figured out that a pint will last me probably all year..as you need it you can mix with sour cream depending on who you are feeding!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, Saym-Welcome and Thank you! That sounds like a simple, easy, way to do it! That will be my project for the weekend!

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You can dig up horseradish in any month that has an "R" in it, and no you don't have to leave any. The roots go very deep, and you can never completely kill it off. I have some on my property that has been around for 50 years, and has been dug up 30 times and always comes back and even spreads. I put 2-3 tablespoons of vinegar in 1 cup of blender chopped horseradish. You need to make sure you peel off the outer skin. If you like it mild, put the vinegar in as soon as it's chopped. If you like it hot and nose burning, wait 2-3 minutes before adding the vinegar.

Latest posts