Horseradish- now what???

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since this post came back around- I will tell that I did in fact harvest some horseradish. We ground it up in the food processor. It was delicious, but still kind of a course grind. So, we put it into the blender with some white vinegar... Oh yeah!! Now it is smooth, and incredibly delicious. I thought it would weaken with time- but it will still clear your sinuses!!
Looking forward to spring and trying the leaves....Stay tuned!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Freddy, I have been digging up roots this spring- it is still mighty delicious! Are you growing some?

muffy

Sprout
Reaction score
I finally had room for horseradish here..I had always heard that it was really invasive..so I always warned people when they bought it bare root to plant it waaaay out away..but mine is in the confines of my vegetable garden and so far it has been very well behaved.. Since I was new to this zone and planting conditions, i have harvested it when I had to dig through a foot of snow..and also in the spring and fall..it doesn't really seem to matter. I grind it in a food processor till it's course, then jar it up with white vinegar and put it in the back of the fridge where it stays half frozen all the time..I have given small jars of it away and made friends in the process.
One word of warning..I had a friend that processed hers initially in a blender and it burned the blender up..so chop it fine then process in a strong processor.

fastfreddy43

Leafing Out
Reaction score
i grew it before am go to start again does any one think anyone ever o.d.onhorseradish

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
muffy said:
I finally had room for horseradish here..I had always heard that it was really invasive..so I always warned people when they bought it bare root to plant it waaaay out away..but mine is in the confines of my vegetable garden and so far it has been very well behaved.. Since I was new to this zone and planting conditions, i have harvested it when I had to dig through a foot of snow..and also in the spring and fall..it doesn't really seem to matter. I grind it in a food processor till it's course, then jar it up with white vinegar and put it in the back of the fridge where it stays half frozen all the time..I have given small jars of it away and made friends in the process.
One word of warning..I had a friend that processed hers initially in a blender and it burned the blender up..so chop it fine then process in a strong processor.
The clump keeps getting bigger but it doesn't spread away from the clump.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
The biggest trouble with horse radish is that once you have it it's forever. Dig those accidental volunteers as soon as you spot them and be sure to get all of the root while they are still small.
Don't forget that the leaves make very good cooked greens, kind of like mustard greens.
A secondary benefit is that it acts as a snail trap. Snails come to it from all over your garden so they're concentrated in one place and easier to deal with.
I like adding one or 2 chopped leaves into my spring mix of wild greens. I like it mixed in to give a little bite and extra flavor.. have never tried it by itself.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
fastfreddy43 said:
i grew it before am go to start again does any one think anyone ever o.d.onhorseradish
Hi Freddy - I'm sure it's possible to OD on it but I would think a person would STOP putting it in their mouth before it got too far along. Whew, I can't imagine putting enough in my mouth to OD.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I checked on our horseradish this morning after reading this thread and it's all dead. It was healthy last fall but we did not dig up any roots as we still had 2 small jars left from the previous year. I wonder what happened.

I think I recall seeing some horseradish root for sale at a WalMart a few weeks ago. But WallyWorld is so far away from us we only go there about once a month. I would like to get another horseradish plant going soon. Maybe I'll go down to our neighbor to see if they have any spare roots.

Latest posts