Horsetails, Beefy would you mind sharing some pics?

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In a PM you (Beefy) made mention of Horsetails.
I have never heard of nor seen them before!
I did a search and I love them! :love They look so neat! :thumbsup

Would you mind sharing any pictures you may have of them?

Thanks;

Joe :pop

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Are you talking about that stuff that likes to grow near water?

Horsetail.jpg

Funny, but I have yet to get the allure from these guys as I do other plants. What is it about the Horsetail you like? Is it the lack of leaves, although, I think several varieties come with leaves.

horsetail.jpg

The kind that grows here is without any additional leave/stem parts, only the single segmented stem that reaches about 12-18 inches tall, plus the top when it arrives.

Field-Horsetail-06.jpg

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like the look of them for the tropical look they give.

With or with out leaves I like them. I actually like most any plant I don't already have. I think it would be wonderful around the turtle falls.

The one's in the the last picture look like mushrooms kind of.
I could make a special spot just for such plants right into the side of the waterfall.

Joe ;)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oy, be careful about horsetails. They are best admired on someone ELSE'S property or growing wild. All the ones I've had acquaintance with are ineradicable weeds. At the very least, treat like mint or horseradish and plant in a deep large pot or tile.

Pat, with a certain amount of wild horsetail in the wetter parts of the property but fortunately not in the garden beds, tho I do weed it out of the front pasture when I'm feeling ambitious.

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i dont have any pictures of mine but they look like the variety in Ron's first photo. DO put them in something they cant escape. mine is in a pot with no drainage. they have a bad tendency to run so if you put them in a pot they will have to just jog around in circles. (assuming the pot is round..)

you can actually grow them in a pot sitting in the water..

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
beefy said:
i dont have any pictures of mine but they look like the variety in Ron's first photo. DO put them in something they cant escape. mine is in a pot with no drainage. they have a bad tendency to run so if you put them in a pot they will have to just jog around in circles. (assuming the pot is round..)

you can actually grow them in a pot sitting in the water..
That would be perfect. As you see there in the picture I have three tiers were it is made to hold pots. I can add/make a spillover pot if a larger container was needed.

I like them!

Joe

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So are these going on my list or Beefy's list? I mean list to you? You do have a list going on this end you know! LOL :celebrate

Oh, and also, did you use up all of your Hyacinth Bean seeds? Are the ones you planted thriving?

Ron

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
So are these going on my list or Beefy's list? I mean list to you? You do have a list going on this end you know! LOL :celebrate

Oh, and also, did you use up all of your Hyacinth Bean seeds? Are the ones you planted thriving?

Ron
Yes, that is yes to both.
As I see both of you have different types so they would both compliment each other in the waterfall.

I planted 5 seeds and got three plants of the Hyacinth Bean.
They are doing well but need help as to bugs. I will do a soap bath on them.

Joe

Edited to answer the question; I still have 20 seeds left of the Hyacinth Bean.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
Greensage45 said:

Ron
Yes, that is yes to both.
As I see both of you have different types so they would both compliment each other in the waterfall.

I planted 5 seeds and got three plants of the Hyacinth Bean.
They are doing well but need help as to bugs. I will do a soap bath on them.

Joe

Edited to answer the question; I still have 20 seeds left of the Hyacinth Bean.
OK cool, this (horsetail) will go with the Brug cutting; you answered my question about the Hyacinth Bean, sounds like you will need more seed of that.

Oh yes, the Horsetail will be zapped by both our recent freeze and possible ditch mower (I think I saw them go by). So even though it will only be a root I am sure it will take off for you!

Ron :mow

Latest posts