Horsetails, Beefy would you mind sharing some pics?

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
yeah, i'm going to have to cut mine off to fit them in the box but i'll send the ends too b/c they will have little "ponytails?" on the tips you can pot up to root.

my hyacinth beans didnt do a whole lot, they are still blooming tho. with the drought (that only occured on my farm and nowhere else) i just couldnt keep them watered. they would have been better off in the ground but i had them in pots so the chickens wouldnt destroy them. mine have got some dry beans on them now, plus i have left over seeds.

Ron i need a bigger list of things to send to you lest i have to get a smaller box. oh wait, i forgot i was going to use spanish moss and redbugs as filler...

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
JOe what color kalanchoe do you have?

also, i'm not sure if rabbits are supposed to eat horsetail.. not sure about turtles. i think its toxic to my cows seems like..

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well darn,

I don't have anything to send you Beefy! What is it you were wishing for again? ...besides that! LOL :gig

What kind of plants were you looking for? :hu

Ron

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
idk. whatchu got?
theres really not a whole lot that i want that i dont have that i can think of offhand. take me for a tour around the yard...

i walk around joes at night with my list and a number 2 pencil. i add something new to my list from him every night. tonite, i added the zebra.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do you do seeds often? I looked into past pictures and I am assuming you are in a southerly position and have mild winters.

Are you perhaps looking at a spot that you can envision a tree?

Talk to me! I am lost ...why can't I vision your spaces? All I see are flowers in my head, maybe I missed some pics that you posted in the past. Are there any garden spaces to show us?

Ron

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
On a hunch I am going to introduce you to this little plant that I grew from seed.

It was a baggie of seeds sent to me from somewhere in Arizona. The person that sent them to me assumed they were Chilean Mesquite or Peruvian Mesquite.

Here is the little plant
szkdar.jpg

then he grew
34niomg.jpg

eventually he reached nearly 4ft tall over three seasons; then disaster ...we had a harder, longer winter and it froze and died in the ground. So sad!

I didn't identify it then, but now I know it to be the most common along the Chihuahuan desert region. It is the Velvet Mesquite

There are some nice words on the internet regarding this tree.

It is a shame about losing it since it reminded me so much of having leaves shaped like dragonfly wings. I really wanted to see it become a huge tree (this is the largest of the Mesquites).

I still currently have 9 seeds left. I know if I grow one again, then it will be fated to be a patio plant only; or, if I dare do a Bonsai. Maybe a Bonsai! That would be cool

Bummer that I cannot find a mesquite bonsai picture!

Ron

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i am so-so with seeds. i usually propagate from cuttings. but now that i'm growing daylilies from seed i might as well go all out...

i dont need anymore trees. in fact i've started mroe than i have room for in the yard but luckily i had originally planned to plant them around the farm anyway. i started a lot of bald cypress and live oaks. and i have magnolia trees coming up out the yinyang (thank you chickens...)

maybe the reason you cant envision any space is b/c i dont really have any right now, lol. i am working on making some more beds. i have lots of space, just not "beds" yet. stoopid grass...

if you like mesquite you might like the Rattlebox
Sesbania_punicea1.jpg

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What about grasses?

I have this grass, Leymus arenarius 'Blue Dune', Lyme Grass

I could send you plant or seed of this.
DETA-232.jpg

I also have Phalaris arundinacea 'Strawberries and Cream', Ribbon Grass but only in plant form--no seed.
ribbon-grass.jpg

Then I have Chasmanthium latifolium Northern Sea Oats Grass in seed only.
EH.DSC01546-1.jpg
this picture shows how upright and clumped this grass is; this is just as the seedpods form so the ones in this picture are just starting.

29131950_8b0621b2b0.jpg

I also have Maidenhair grass or Ponytail grass but the seeds are out of season at the moment. I could send live plant but it may or may not make it on this one--they are fussy movers!
28amgb8.jpg

I also have Feather Reed Grass, but I have never taken seed from it and I have never seen volunteers.
33wtnkp.jpg

I could get some baby Deer Grass, I know of a spot that is volunteering new ones. My own only made one volunteer and then I have never seen another one even though it seeds every year.
Muhlenbergia_rigens-1.jpg
this is how the seed plume looks, more like an empty stick.

OK, give it some thoughts!

Ron

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
beefy said:
JOe what color kalanchoe do you have?

also, i'm not sure if rabbits are supposed to eat horsetail.. not sure about turtles. i think its toxic to my cows seems like..
I think I have red and pink.

The problem is I just move and plant things and don't keep track of who goes where. I will have to pay more attention to the details for now on.

I am pretty sure most of it is red though.

That Rattlebox is nice! I found and collected seeds from a yellow one in the swamp. I will be sure to add some to your list if you like.

So you are now after my Zebra! First you want my Cat now my Zebra.

Ron I wish I had a bigger place! I like the grass, but I just don't have the room. What if I tore down part of my house? Or get that beast out of my front yard!
The Sea Oats seed pods look to neat.

Joe

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey Joe,

I thought you were going to plant the roof? :lol:

All that wasted space! Geez! What's up with these young gardener's today! LOL

I cannot believe this is someone's roof! :ep
stresni-zahrada-3.jpg

the entire city is going roof gardening, or is this a future golf course?
newyork_roof_gardens_original.jpg

this guy just said the heck with the house and just has a roof! LOL
the-roof-garden-a.jpg

ohhhhh... this hurts!
Image5_XL.jpg

Latest posts