Hosta ID

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
http://www.hostalibrary.org/
found this link a couple years ago and have kept it handy when i can't quite find info on a new type i spot for sale. i agree on the Wide Brim for the one you are looking at.

@Nyboy i have a 'giant' in my collection called Sum & Substance that tolerates sun well. it tends be on the chartreuse side and not really a yellow. i've been deciding if i would divide it next year.it was the most expensive hosta i've bought so far but has been worth it since it gets so lush looking next to the house. just wish it grew faster. i also have a sport called Parhelion that has a slight creamy edge but so far looks like it's parent.

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
http://www.hostalibrary.org/
found this link a couple years ago and have kept it handy when i can't quite find info on a new type i spot for sale. i agree on the Wide Brim for the one you are looking at.

@Nyboy i have a 'giant' in my collection called Sum & Substance that tolerates sun well. it tends be on the chartreuse side and not really a yellow. i've been deciding if i would divide it next year.it was the most expensive hosta i've bought so far but has been worth it since it gets so lush looking next to the house. just wish it grew faster. i also have a sport called Parhelion that has a slight creamy edge but so far looks like it's parent.

*mind officially blown* There must be 1000's of different cultivars!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a more recent photo of the hosta bed in front of the shed. There are now about 40 varieties in the bed.
Hosta '15 bed.JPG

Yes, Flemish is definitely a blue. See the contrast with the greens around it.
hosta flemish2.JPG Hosta '15 bed4.JPG

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never been a hosta fan but now I am thinking of spots where I could use them.....really like the color of blue ones. Do they really look blue or do you have to use your imagination?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
more of a blue green with a smoky look to it. see the large one in bloom on the right of Red's pic, the one by the exhaust pipe. that is a 'blue'.

Latest posts