How Do Deer Know?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
Deer = long legged groundhogs
Deer = undomesticated goats.

It's normal to see goats, err deer, here every night shortly after dark, even now when the herds are breaking up and the does are fawning. Saw three last night. The mountain is above me, the water is below me. They feed as they go to and from water.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
came home from diner last night to 3 deer less then 10 feet from house.
It's not unusual for me to have to stop on the driveway so that a heard of them can amble across....... Usually after having enjoyed a nice snack on my daylilies and other goodies in the front yard :he

... maybe I should be speeding up instead of stopping for them...

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
canesisters said:
Nyboy said:
came home from diner last night to 3 deer less then 10 feet from house.
It's not unusual for me to have to stop on the driveway so that a heard of them can amble across....... Usually after having enjoyed a nice snack on my daylilies and other goodies in the front yard :he

... maybe I should be speeding up instead of stopping for them...
I wouldn't. My wife hit one just after Thanksgiving last year. Insurance covered it but the total bill was $4,000. Luckily, only the deer was hurt.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mother hit one a couple of years ago. She called me crying , I tried to comfort her by saying I am sure the deer didn't feel much. My mom replied I am crying about the car not the deer, over $5,000 in damage.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kamikaze deer lurk in the bushes on the side of the road waiting for an unsuspecting motorist. They reject bomber cars with one headlight, missing front bumper, cracked windshield and expired inspection sticker as unworthy. They only choose newer, nicer vehicles that the owners obviously take pride in.......JUMP! SMACK! CRASH! DAMAGE! :he

Dead deer. Damaged vehicle. Mission accomplished. There is another generation of deer...........growing up......coming after YOUR car! :lol:

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
nyboy, you need to tell about your rose garden in the flowers/roses section. I would love to hear your choices & why you like those choices or don't like

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup, many animals easily learn deterrents can't/wont harm them. Lights, sounds, locked up dogs, even water sprayers. They figure it out and ignore it in no time.
Put up a fence, electric fence or let a dog roam the area to keep them at bay.

I'm hoping to grow tons of mulberry seeds from my tree. Rooting whips for anything but willows don't work for me. Thought about the hormone stuff, but idk if it actually works or what.

Deer are curious things, if something new shows up, they will explore it and then eat it if its the most yummy thing there....

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have had problems with deer eating my plants this year. I really don't care if they have a bite here or there, but they were eating EVERYTHING. Cherry tree, hostas, daylilies, coneflowers, black eyed susans, geraniums, stock, sunflowers, moss rose, potato flowers??!! and some other random wildflowers that I don't know the name for. There were coming up to the house too. I have three dogs too. So I made up a hot pepper spray and it is working great. I got the hottest hot sauce I could find (I think, I don't eat the stuff) it was some sort of XXX Xtra hot habanero sauce. Mixed with an egg, some chile powder and a couple drops of soap. For the first week I sprayed the plants every evening, but it also rained every day. The first two nights there was a few nibbles, but nothing since. The last time I sprayed was five or so days ago. I will probably give them another spray in a couple of days just to be on the safe side.

Latest posts