How Do Deer Know?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anna, I wish you good luck. Hopefully that will help over the long term, but as you noted, you have to reapply when it rains and hope they dont visit before you can respray.

A few years ago I grew some habaneros, dried them, and ground them to a powder. Then I made a spray by mixing them with water in a blender. I sprayed that on various plants to keep the deer off.

One of my dogs immediately went over to the plants Id prayed, tulips I think, and started rolling on them. She flattened them. She just loved to roll in that great smell. That was one happy dog.

I havent tried using that spray since.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't care about a bite here or there. So far so good. From what I have seen it will still stick around even after a rain. I had sprayed then we had a really bad rain, but I had forgotten to spray some hostas that were in the back of the yard. The next morning when I too the dogs out I looked over the plants, no new damage on any of the plants I sprayed. But those hostas were grazed nearly to the ground. I have sprayed them and no new damage since. And I know the deer have been passing though. I've seen droppings and prints, some big prints too. We have a pretty heavy population around here, we are close to some wooded areas and parks, but it is developed too so no hunting in this area.

Jennsbirds

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Any other tips? I'm moving and it may be into deer territory, but it's my first chance at chickens and a veggie garden.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My tip would be to go with the flow. Be aware that deer, groundhogs, raccoons, something might be a problem but dont overstress yourself worrying about what might happen. Someone either here or on the chicken forum has a signature line that goes something like Worry is interest paid before it is due.

You are going to have things happen. Thats life. But just be flexible and deal with it when you need to. Learn what you can so you can handle it, but dont let it overstress you. Gardening is supposed to be relaxing.

Congratulations on the chickens and the garden. Thats a whole new adventure.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I might have mentioned this in another thread in the past, but it's worth mentioning again. I have a method of training deer to stay away from the vegetable garden. I guess it could be used around anything you don't want them to eat.

Since my garden fence is electric, I chose a strand of wire that is about 3 feet off the ground. I take 4" x 4" squares of aluminum foil and coat them with peanut butter. I then press alfalfa pellets into the peanut butter and hang these bait squares around the fence by folding the edge of the foil over the wire. I then plug the fence in. Deer love peanut butter and alfalfa. I don't know what 30,000 volts feels like on the tip of the tongue, but I have heard deer squawk in the night. It always puts a smile on my face. After awhile, the deer give the garden a wide berth.

Latest posts