How do you make Sauerkraut? UPDATE..ITS WORKING

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I started another batch last Friday. It has been burping and farting all weekend long downstairs in the semi basement, where it is nice and cool....it STINKS! :sick

My daughter and I went outside through that door this afternoon and she goes "Did you smell that?" (I hadn't told her about the sauerkraut as she has been busy in school etc.)

Whew! The smell :sick means it is working because my last batch didn't smell at all and was laced with mold. I just checked this batch which is under a nice inch of brine. I tasted it too. It smells "right" and is getting nice and sour. I added carrots and caraway seeds in the beginning of the process. I have not noticed any foam yet, but I'm sure its coming. We are just going to have to deal with the stench for another week, then it goes into the fridge with the BAKING SODA right next to it!!! :gig

Just wanted to tell ya, so far so good!!

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My parents used to make tons of sauerkraut in 55 gallon barrels. My dad says if you've started attracting hordes of flies then the kraut is doing A-Ok.

Good luck! I hope it works!
Yum mmmmm sauerkraut :drool

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Catalina, thanks for the information, I believe it! P.U.!! :sick

Hattie, I read about the temps. Thank you! My semi basement is about 70-75 degrees c. This is perfect.

You guys, don't hot water bathe it if you can, it kills all the happy probiotics your tummy's need. It will stay in fridge for up to 3 months. Very healthy!

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Catalina said:
My parents used to make tons of sauerkraut in 55 gallon barrels. My dad says if you've started attracting hordes of flies then the kraut is doing A-Ok.

Good luck! I hope it works!
Yum mmmmm sauerkraut :drool
Could you tell us more about the 55 gal barrels? Plastic? Did they use the sauerkraut as needed and recover the barrel? Meaning, did they store the kraut all winter in these barrels instead of putting in jars?

Also, were these fruit flies or common big house flies and what did they do to keep them out?

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Sylvie!:frow

I have my crock covered with cheese cloth. I've read toule works too, one piece on top of the other.

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm just gonna jump in to add something that I didn't see mentioned ( hope I'm not repeating something ) I remember seeing a recipe a LONG time ago where you could make kraut IN the jar. I think you pretty much made it the same way but just packed it into the jars and put the lids on LOOSELY so it could ferment in the jars. I've never tried it - just thought I'd throw it out there. We always used big stone crocks with cheesecloth and a big stoneware plate to hold everything down. Just my two cents worth. :)

Latest posts