How is your garden doing so far?

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It been colder this year than last; the forsythias just bloomed and they are about 2-3 weeks behind their usual bloom time. Rain has been good, we set up our rain barrels last week and the four of them are already filled to capacity.

I have peas, kale, mizuna, swiss chard and broccoli raab in right now, all are doing fine, if the cooler weather continues our warm weather transplants may be delayed until the 1st-2nd week of June. Also have some determinate tomatoes in now because I can cover them at night.

Today is a beautiful sunny day in Massachusetts it's about 60 degrees out now.

Phyllis

5374_beds_2.jpg

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
SewingDiva - nice cold frame! I've been wanting to make some of those for years to extend my season a little. Just never seem to have time. What are your "hoops" made of?

beak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I hate you people. Our garden has 18" of snow covering it. No snow all winter then 2 big ones in April. The pastures are so happy though. You have nice dirt too. No Fair

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm halfway finished in the front yard, and so proud! Please allow me to share my photos!

The View from my house to the road.
A newly added raised bed, and the former ground level beds surrounding it and some of my strawberries that moved here on their own :p
101_2862.JPG
101_2863.JPG

Ok.. and the better view
101_2869.JPG
101_2868.JPG

On the left, if you can make out the ground level rows, those are about 8 feet long and there are 4 of them from last years corn. Behind that is the newly scraped off grass which will become extensions on the rows. So.. there are 2 bush beans in each row, strawberries in the front box. Behind each of the beans will be a row of broccolli & cauliflower, then a row of sage & oregano.
The new area is for this years first corn crop. I will replace the beans/broccoli & cauliflower with a second planting of sweet corn in July.
On the right is the new raised bed, with an old rose in the middle which we'll dig out at the end of this season and move. We have 9 Peanuts across the front, then on the left of the rose are 5 leeks, behind the rose are 6 Parsnips, to the right of the Rose are 6 Carrots. The rest of the space are for planting more carrots and leeks every couple of weeks. It took about 3 tons of top soil to fill this, but well worth it. In the back on the left are 4 more beans in raised soil and the rest of the back are the old strawberries, all doing very well.

Last years garden has been turned over, and 3 strawberries have survived well
101_2871.JPG

This is where most of the tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, a potato, etc will go.. will update as I get that planted this week. And I have another ground level garden where a coop used to be with three short/small rows & a palette potato setup and an area for my sweet potatoes. My onions are growing well already but the rest haven't been planted yet. Will keep updating!

OH.. and of course.. my 3 improvised home made topsey turvey bags hanging off the front of a coop:
101_2858.JPG

So I still owe ya 2 garden pictures & some misc. other plantings like my winter squash growing in a wheelbarrow next to the porch, but I'll wait until things are blooming!
Thanks for letting me share!!!!

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Curly_kate that is a wonderful sized Garden :woot My biggest garden was only about a 1/4 of that. You should be able to grow quite a large harvest from there. :clap

Sewingdiva that is a wonderful cold frame nice work :watering

jlmann Your garden looks great too, you have some beautiful salads ahead of you :coolsun

Hattie I am so looking forward to seeing the photos of your garden renavations. :caf :clap

COgirl and Wifezella I am soo sorry you have such a short growing season. But ya know a small greenhouse sure can cure a lot of that. But I also know ya gota have the backing of a DH to help. :tools It doesn't have to be expensive if ya look for recycled or free materials. :thumbsup Sewingdivas cold frame is a wonderful example of a way to lenghten the growning season. I am proubly stating what you both already know. :duc I'll shut up One can only do what one is able to do. I just wish ya had more than snowmen and snow to shovel. :sick

I hope things warm up for both of you real soon :coolsun :coolsun :tools

It's dreary and windy here today. :sick I may get some more hostas divided I have gotten 26 containers divided from just 1/2 of a clump dug up yesterday. and 6 more clumps to work on yet :ep

Everyone have a wonderful day :coolsun with what ever you indever. I am going to go play in the dirt :ya

:happy_flower Karan :D

edited to add Bodyflight Nice work :clap and I Love your version of the topsy turvey grow bags :love :ya

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
jlmann said:
SewingDiva - nice cold frame! I've been wanting to make some of those for years to extend my season a little. Just never seem to have time. What are your "hoops" made of?
The hoops are 3/4 inch PVC pipe. There are 4 inch vertical posts insside each bed, and when my husband built the beds he fastened lengths of 2 inch PVS pipe to each post. So I just bend the PVC pipe into the holders. The pipe is easy to cut as well with special PVC pipe cutter. Our raised beds are pretty high (2 feet) so the PVC is securely in there. The beds are Trex.

The pipe and the cutter is a Home Depot/Lowes item, and the row cover clips are 2 inch (the biggest size) binder clips from Staples or Office Max.

The edges are held down with rocks, which we have an endless supply of here in New England!

Phyllis

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I finished my three new raised beds a couple of days ago. I have a long way to go on filling them. Besides that I have mostly been cleaning up the yard (a few years overdue for the back of the yard). I have been shredding oak leaves and adding them to compost piles or raised beds. Home Depot here has seeds half price. I got a bunch of stuff. I otherwise don't have anything started cause I had to make the new raised beds and had no where else to plant much of anything.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You guys have me DROOLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those are coming out awesome. Anyone else having spring fever this bad!? ;)

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok here is mine today..

9815_100_2364.jpg

a pic of the tomatos after a shave and a haircut..

9815_100_2360.jpg

and look what i found .. :ya

9815_100_2361.jpg

look what the chickens got..

9815_100_2363.jpg

the potatos.

9815_100_2362.jpg

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Im getting ready to pull up my cool weather stuff and get my garden prepped for my warm weather crop! I have 1 squash and 1 zuchinni up today that I planted on Good Friday. Im not sure when to plant my other seeds though. According to the Almanac the 30th is a good day, but Im not sure if I need to go by that or not. My grandma always does, I'll talk to her tomorrow. I have 5 tomatoes in the ground now, Im going to pick up more tomorrow, and maybe a few peppers. My potatoes and onions are doing great though. My lettuce is huge as well, I need to pull it up though. My radishes and broccoli are bolting, my turnips are huge and my carrots are growing quickly. That's about it!

smom, your garden is beautiful! congrats on those tomatoes, they look amazing.