How is your garden doing so far?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oooooh! I'm so excited!! :ya

Lots of little tomatoes are appearing on my tomato plants. I am most excited that both my Japanese Black Trifele & the Brandywines (well I hope they are -- the label got lost) are doing so well. I'm getting a steady supply of zucchini & my cucumber has started to climb, my melon plants are bushing out after a slow start.

I'm still picking out all the little soft weeds from my root bed. it is a real pain --I do a bit every day because leaning over affects my balance. It would be a help if I knew what a salsify seedling looked like............!! I must try to find a photo. I popped more lavender cuttings into that bed to help against the carrot fly & flea beetle. I have been taking a lot of cuttings this year so that I will have lots of plants for the re-organisation of my front garden which I hope to get going on this Autumn. I have taken lots of tarragon & lemon verbena cuttings because I tend to lose these in the winter. This year I shall keep them in the house or greenhouse!

My broad beans & peas are still producing -- much longer than usual. The Runner Beans are starting to form; such good timing ( thanks to me taking a huge chance, direct sowing very early and covering them with floating fleece until they started to climb up the teepee).

This morning I had a delivery of various herbs plus a sea-kale plant (crambe maritima ). I have grown this before but my ex pulled it all out by mistake thinking it was cabbage growing in the wrong place........!!!!!!!!!!!! :barnie

Happy Gardening! :coolsun :coolsun :coolsun It is VERY hot here this week! We are not used to it, so I am taking it easy. :happy_flower

:rose Hattie :rose

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hey guys! I haven't posted on this thread for a while since it was a couple of pages back , but I see it has been resurrected. Everything here is doing great! I have about fifteen heads of cabbage that need to be harvested. The last one I cut weighed @ 10 lbs. and was very tasty. I have tons of brussel sprouts that are close to the size of a golf ball , so they need to come out soon too. My radishes are about finished. My tomatoes are off to a good start , despite being started late by a careless gardener. Green beans and cucumbers are up and need to be trelised soon. My yellow squash is doing OK but I didn't thin it enough the first time , so I may have to go back in to thin some more. The kale is doing well and every time I pick some it seems to fill in pretty fast so I'm thinking I'll let it go for a while and see if it makes a kale tree!

We've eaten several heads of cauliflower and a bunch of onions , greens , radishes and cabbage. I want tomatoes!!!! That will be a while though. I pulled about a bushel of small onions that we're going to try to dry out and make onion braids with , but I don't know how well it will work. Good to see everyone is doing fairly well in the garden this year and , Hattie , I am so glad you finally have some Brandywines!! Happy gardening! I'll try to post some pictures later today.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh my gosh! Isn't production wonderful!!! Watching everything grow... and move... and come to life is amazing but when you get to take something from it for yourself... it's HEAVEN!!!!!!! :celebrate

Yesterday I harvested my first ripe cherry tomatoes... my corn is less then a week away... my potatoes are any day now.... and I made a head count on watermelon larger then golf balls!!! Hooray!!!!

:mow Today I am going out to mow the lawn before noon.... but after my lawn no longer looks like a field of dandy-lions.... I will get pictures since just about every single blooming thing is blooming and fruitin'. :watering

:weight :weight :weight :weight

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ok just a couple of pics then I gotta get busy:

Green beans and cukes:

6234_100_1065.jpg

Tomatoes and peppers ( BAD picture) :

6234_100_1067.jpg

I think you can even see a cabbage in the back , really bad picture though. I would have taken more but as always the camera's batteries were almost dead. I'll have to post a picture of the volunteer sunflower that came up this year - almost 10 ft. tall !!

J&KV

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Here is mine so far. Pics were taken a little over a week ago.
5740_hpim2019.jpg

Still have a couple of weeks before i get any thing out of our corn. Getting a lot of sguash, tomatoes, and a lot of cayenne pepper. The beans we have growing on the cane poles are lima beans. I planted some mississippi silver skin peas aka.(cow peas) between my corn.
5740_hpim2024.jpg

Here is our late corn i planted.
5740_hpim2021.jpg

We're not getting much rain so i use what we stored from the past spring.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I love reading/seeing everyone's gardens - They all look great!

My lettuce and radishes are done. We had 2 weeks of 95 degree weather and they all bolted. Now it's back into the 70's :he But it's too late for the lettuce. I want to plant another crop in the fall.

I planted some poc choi, but it was too late in the season and that also bolted. The chickens love it though! LOL

I have a lot of broccoli - that I need to pick and freeze today.
My carrots are doing great - I've thinned them and eaten a bunch of baby carrots. I'll take out the radishes and plant another crop of carrots in their place.

Peas are awesome this year! I need to pick a bunch today.

My cucumbers are taking off - growing - it will be a while until I see a cucumber.

Green beans are climbing the trellises, as are the tomatos. The tomatos look great too! They are about 3 feet high on their trellises. Lots of blooms.

I DEed everything 5 days ago and it took care of my enormous slug problem.

So Yay! :tools

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
J&KV - that is one huge rain barrel. how does the water store over a year without getting all mildewy?
Thanks

J&KV

Leafing Out
Reaction score
obsessed said:
J&KV - that is one huge rain barrel. how does the water store over a year without getting all mildewy?
Thanks
It does get a lot algea inside. The water I have stored was from this past spring and its almost used up. I was told that there is algea tablets that can be used but we've not tried that.

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok so i havent been on in a long while.. I have been deeeeep into nursing school.. but in the mean time .. my garden has been suffering this heat!! The tomatos all scragely the zuchini.. disappeared.. and even the okra is suffering.. we watered a bunch but it just wasnt enough.. I had to leave it into the hands of my dear hubby.. um well.. yea.. he did his best.. but we are now watering two times a day in this 100 degree (no kidding folks) heat.. glad i planted under the tree.. I am thinking we might try to replant a bit in the fall.. or late august.. so anyway.. how did everyones potato bins do.. we started digging and hit our first potato one foot down.. and so far only one.. but we stopped digging.. it actually started raining.. go figure.. but all in all its been good.. and school will be over in a year,, (ha ha ha) glad to see you all again!!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought my garden was beautiful :(

and I am not a sensitive person by nature to be honest ..I am pretty thick
but ...
today my jobshare guy/best friend told a patient "yeah you drive up to her house and see all these things that look like big weeds all over the place and go figure she has a name for everything!!!"

I think I was insulted!!!!

I think it is a pretty yard!

tomorrow I think I will hit him upside the head for that

huh?

I am seeing lots of baby beans now :) he can bite me when he wants some!

the photos are amazing I have to take some and share so you guys can judge if it looks awful or not!

Latest posts