How is your Tomato Harvest Going?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I haven't got photos yet, and my plants are almost done after that terrible heat wave. I did manage MANY jars of tomato this and tomato that... so I'm happy!!!

Next year though..... I need at least 6 more plants! :lol:

gettinaclue

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I planted rutgers and cherry sweet 100's and I have to say they did pretty well. I wouldn't have minded more off the rutgers though. I still have some coming in so I can't complain to much.

The rutgers got a huge thumbs up from DH and his family (I'm not much of a fresh tomato eater) for taste. My BIL even made a tomato sandwich from them, which he doesn't often do.

I'm going to try something a bit different next year though. I've got some heirlooms already in hand for next years garden. I would like to try some marglobes (I almost typed marGLOBS) but I think they will have to wait until year after next. I have plenty on my plate so far as far as tomatoes go.

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
8005_tomato_bushel.jpg

That's what I picked today. This is the 4th basket like that I've gotten so far. It was fun at first, but I'm starting to feel like my plants are trying to see if I'll drop dead in the heat while picking. They are Green Sausage, Goliath, Cherokee Purple, Black Tula, San Marzano, and Martinos.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I forgot to take pictures of the first tomatos that I have harvested. I have about 4 gallons in the freezer waiting to make spaghetti sauce. These I picked the other night and have them slated for salsa! I guess I could have cleaned them off a bit before taking the picture. :D Oh well...straight from the garden it is!

8199_tomato_harvest.jpg

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
stepstephens2 said:
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/8005_tomato_bushel.jpg

That's what I picked today. This is the 4th basket like that I've gotten so far. It was fun at first, but I'm starting to feel like my plants are trying to see if I'll drop dead in the heat while picking. They are Green Sausage, Goliath, Cherokee Purple, Black Tula, San Marzano, and Martinos.
What beautiful colors! I am envious. My tomatoes are red/orange at best.

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Stubbornhillfarm said:
stepstephens2 said:
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/8005_tomato_bushel.jpg

What beautiful colors! I am envious. My tomatoes are red/orange at best.
Thanks! With the exception of the San Marzano, I had decided to grow them based mostly on their color/shape. I picked the green sausage knowing that it got horrible reviews for taste and a few other things (i.e. the plant looks weird and spindly.) So far, I have to agree with the reviews. I've tried adding some to fresh salsa and it made a gray color! :/ The skins are almost impossible to get off despite putting in boiling water. I still need to try making tiny fried green tomatoes and experimenting with drying them. I don't think I'm going to grow them next year.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just cut up 2 large trays of cherry tomatoes to put out and sun dry in the car today. All because I have at least another bucket worth to pick today and I'm out of room in the kitchen! ARGH!

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tomatoes are doing real good, this is our second harvest of 50 lbs of tomatoes (total 100 lbs so far).

7054_dsc_0162.jpg

Same crate different view
7054_dsc_0163.jpg

Chris

Latest posts