How many Have One of These ?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Organic produce at my usual regular old grocery store is very competitive with the conventional produce. Just sayin.
That's because most is not organic just marketed that way. Look into organic regs if you want to get sick. There is an out for everything.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My favorite nursery has a food market, it is family owned. On fruit and vegetables they name the farm and town it is in. I would say they are 10 to 15% more then other local supermarkets.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't understand why our local farmers' market is so expensive. I don't mind paying more for locally grown--not even "organic," but 3 times as much as at the grocery store is just too much.
The prices don't seem to go down when produce is in the height of the season, either.
I like to support them, but, geeze!
Maybe it's just here. It is said we have the highest doctor population in the world, so maybe the farmers are targeting doctors wives (or cooks)
(Sorry; Off topic :hide)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Geeze! They have a stall available for me, @so lucky ?!! Three times?

I used to talk to people about direct sales of their produce. My simple advice on prices was, "do not sell below the supermarket average." You might be surprised at the tendency with folks just starting out ... if they actually stay with it, they get-over this tendency.

They have surplus, or think they do. They may treat it like a yard sale. Some will happily give it away, or nearly so. Of course, there is so much standing and customer service, so much transportation, so much processing, so much harvest, so much growing (!) ... these folks are totally unlikely to come back for a second year.

My advice for the consumer if the prices seem too high is to venture off to other markets. If you are used to paying 3x as much - come here!

:) Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
The local farmers' markets are banking on the idea that the "organic" label is somehow more "healthy" than conventional farming so they charge according to what they can get away with. Hey, their "organic" farms are right next door to the large farming operations. California has the 7th largest economy in the world based on it's agricultural production. Yet the price paid for food at stores and restaurants is just as expensive and even more so for "organic" and "locally grown " than anywhere else in this country. :hu

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those markets are usually non-profit affairs and, may or may not have cut deals with resellers from the produce companies. If so, there may well be a load of California organic produce at a "farmers'" market most anywhere in the country.

... Otherwise, those vendors are people who often don't have a half acre for production. They can better be described as market gardeners. The US food industry became, long ago, a part of the US transportation system. That means a huge amount of energy is committed to moving food around this country. May as well mention fertilizer use and cold storage in that energy use.

I have visited California markets but it's been years. Often these places are local gathering places and food sales are almost secondary. But, people eat every day and leaving very much decision making to the industry doesn't seem like such a great idea for people concerned about a healthy diet for themselves and their families.

Be that as it may, my initial experience with California's farmers' markets was back in the '50's and they amounted to no more than 2 or 3 guys showing up in the Redding feed store parking lot and selling sweet corn and watermelons out of the back of their pickups. Washington State might have been said to be down 1 market when I moved north - Pike's Place.

People wanted something else. They wanted choices. Grow grapes, make your own wine! ... uh, raisins!

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, in the bay area we have beautiful farmer's markets with gorgeous produce at really good prices compare to the stores. There is also music and a couple of food vendors so you can grab something to eat while there.

Mary

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds a bit like the produce auction I go to. There is a food truck in the corner selling burgers, dogs, bbq, etc ---- and funnel cake!!! Sometimes they set up sawhorses with planks and folks bring all sorts of baked goods to sell. Every now and then a bluegrass group sets up and plays all night. It's a fun country evening even if you aren't buying or selling anything.

Unfortunately, buying there is the reason I almost never buy at those local produce markets though. The first couple of hours is dominated by several of the owners of those markets buying their 'home grown' produce. They run the prices up several times more than what the grocery charges because they know they can get it back from people who think they're buying local. But much of what is at the auction comes from NC or farther.
We spend the first couple of hours planning out what we want and what we are willing to pay starting from the last pallet forward. Once the 'market folks' have their trucks full and have left, we start bidding on the exact same produce, from the same growers even, for a fraction of the cost. A case of tomatoes that went at 8:00 for $30 will often go for $5 at 11:00. ;) And in the mean time we've had funnel cake, listened to the music, made fun of those 'market folks' a little and chatted with the growers who are also laughing at what some people are willing to pay... happy to take it... but still....

... I think I rambled... did I hijack???? what were we talking about????