How Many Meals Do You Have Potatoes ?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I make baked 'french fries'. I plank a potato and cut into slices, toss in olive or avocado oil, then pour them onto a preheated flat griddle and bake in a hot (425f) oven until they are crispy on the bottom, 20 to 30ish minutes probably. I could turn them halfway through but I'm lazy about that.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we don't deep fry anything here. just too much of a mess and a waste too since we'd have all that grease to contend with.

instead we bake them similar to how @thistlebloom does it once in a while. mostly they are boiled and used in potato salad or german potato salad. once in a while mashed. probably averages out to a few meals a week.

i'm not actually all that fond of them, i much prefer sweet potatoes instead.

that all said, last year was the first time in many years we grew our own potatoes. they turned out small, but i'm pretty sure (now from reading along here) that had a lot to do with them being planted so late (around the end of May). i will pass along any spud growing knowledge gained here to the BossLady aka Mom. i'm not sure if we are going to grow them this year or not.

we don't have the best soil for them in many places here, only a few areas out front have topsoil brought in.

considering how many varieties there are of potatoes i consider it a shame that most people only think of them as the white/yellow rather tasteless kinds.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
potatoes are a main staple here at the house.. baked, fried, boiled......

matter of fact looking forward to a mess of hash browns eggs and sausage hot coffee for breakfast in bed the next 2 days.....

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
last year was the first time in many years we grew our own potatoes. they turned out small, but i'm pretty sure (now from reading along here) that had a lot to do with them being planted so late (around the end of May)

I don't know what your last average frost date is Flowerbug, but you don't want to get them in too early. May to me would be the earliest. I usually get mine in sometime in the second week of May. The tops can take a little frost, but too much damage will just set them back.

There's a commercial grower north of me that I spoke too on the phone one time and he never plants until June. Some day I'm going to take a drive up there and buy some seed potatoes from him...but May is a crazy busy time for me to take a day to go anywhere like that.

Even though I plant early mid and late season spuds, it seems that they all die back pretty much at the same time. I like to harvest about 300 pounds for us, but the past few years has been much less and very disappointing.

I agree with you on the plethora of varieties available, I really enjoy sampling a range of them. My best producer ever has always been Maris Piper. Magic Molly is my favorite for exotic looks. She's a deep velvety purple all the way through and holds color even when boiled for potato salads.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Once since the first of September. That was both sweet and mashed spuds for Thanksgiving dinner.

Usually I have them once at least every other day, but carbs are carbs and out for now.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have potatoes 5+ times per week. DW and I both grew up rural farm and ranch area, meat and potatoes are normal foods for us.next season we want to double our potato harvest by adding more space to grow them. We should cut back a little on spuds , what to replace them with though.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been cutting back on carbs, so I eat potatoes rarely, but DH will eat a baked potato a couple times a week.
I do eat sweet potatoes, either baked, or oven fries.

Latest posts