How ya doin'

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's been nearly a month since Carol Dee asked if we are doing OK. Today I feel more apprehensive than usual, just a general anxiety, which is pretty rare for me.

Actually, my barely-teen grand daughter announced this week that she feels like she is really a boy, inside. She would like to be referred to as "he" and "him", rather than feminine pronouns. That is all that is being asked for right now. I have noticed for several years that she (he) is not thrilled with all the girly things that is usually exciting for girls that age. She is athletic, blunt and a little obnoxious. That sounds like a barely-teen boy, right?

I know that this could be a phase she is going through. Figuring out how much advantage boys have over girls in so many areas, she was depressed about growing up even 3 years ago. Things could change with time. I don't want her to burn any bridges while she figures herself out.

I am still trying to digest this, fearful for what it will mean to her in school, in trying to get a job later on, in all aspects of life that we take for granted.

And, it's not "my problem", really. I will still love that child no matter what happens. The pain and frustration she will go through will hurt me, too, though.

"I feel your pain" is not just a catchy phrase.

in my experience the parents and older relatives are often much worse than the kids of the own age group - but it also depends upon your local culture... i've had a lot of interesting conversations with people of various kinds of descriptions. there have always been a certain number of people who are different and whether or not the wider society understands or accepts them has changed through time.

Cinderloowho

Leafing Out
Reaction score
It's been nearly a month since Carol Dee asked if we are doing OK. Today I feel more apprehensive than usual, just a general anxiety, which is pretty rare for me.

Actually, my barely-teen grand daughter announced this week that she feels like she is really a boy, inside. She would like to be referred to as "he" and "him", rather than feminine pronouns. That is all that is being asked for right now. I have noticed for several years that she (he) is not thrilled with all the girly things that is usually exciting for girls that age. She is athletic, blunt and a little obnoxious. That sounds like a barely-teen boy, right?

I know that this could be a phase she is going through. Figuring out how much advantage boys have over girls in so many areas, she was depressed about growing up even 3 years ago. Things could change with time. I don't want her to burn any bridges while she figures herself out.

I am still trying to digest this, fearful for what it will mean to her in school, in trying to get a job later on, in all aspects of life that we take for granted.

And, it's not "my problem", really. I will still love that child no matter what happens. The pain and frustration she will go through will hurt me, too, though.

"I feel your pain" is not just a catchy phrase.
Ah, wouldn't it be wonderful if we could get inside their heads and just kind of help them figure it all out? I have a 20 year old nephew who met a girl about a year and a half ago. This girl then decides she's really a boy, and my nephew is good with that. It's such an unbelievably complicated situation, there is no easy answer. If you harold me when I was 20 that situations like this would even happen, much less be fairly common, I'd have never believed it! So yes, I feel it, your pain, their pain, all of it, and my heart aches for all of us!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just checking on you all again! CRAZY Times we are living in. :(
97980344_2746105682267640_4486299155504824320_n.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our neighbor, young single mom, just got called up. She is in the Reserves and has to be in Austin by 8 AM in the morning. She will be sent somewhere in the state, for either riot control or helping with the Covid 19 pandemic. She will be gone more than two weeks. Her family will take care of her little girl.
Her garden is producing and she has to leave it. She lives next to our friends Robert and Sharon. He is going to keep her garden watered and cared for, I’m going to put the produce in the freezer or can it for her. It’s the least we can do while she goes off to protect our state.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our neighbor, young single mom, just got called up. She is in the Reserves and has to be in Austin by 8 AM in the morning. She will be sent somewhere in the state, for either riot control or helping with the Covid 19 pandemic. She will be gone more than two weeks. Her family will take care of her little girl.
Her garden is producing and she has to leave it. She lives next to our friends Robert and Sharon. He is going to keep her garden watered and cared for, I’m going to put the produce in the freezer or can it for her. It’s the least we can do while she goes off to protect our state.
Proud of them!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i spent some time today sitting in the car and observing shoppers going in and out of the store. most people were still wearing masks (as is still required by the laws we are under) but some were not particularly being careful about distance.

our country is massively overweight.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cheap food with a long shelf life. Long shelf life equals short life for the people who eat it.

i think the more accurate way of putting this would be "processed foods with a lot of additives to help preserve them and keep them from spoiling." as if i count the food here as both cheap and it does have a shelf life of several years (if canned properly) so that isn't true of things here... just noodling a bit in this post @baymule :)

Latest posts