How ya doin'

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
117099350_325550045516098_4758518782069223981_n.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@marshallsmyth has so much fire and smoke in his neighborhood.

It looks like he has gone into the bunker, again.

I was remembering something that he had said about living in Montana. People would ask him where he was from. He would tell them about his Montana grandparents. The thought came as I was reading how some Montanas are complaining about visitors/temporary/new residents and using their "status" as long-time residents to add weight to their opinions.

This is nothing new, in Montana and many other places. Mom loved California but although she spent many years there and in Oregon, she had been born in Idaho. Her grandparents and great grandparents were homesteaders. Some of her brothers had returned to Idaho before she did, 50+ years ago. Even then, people would ask where she was from. She would say, "oh, I was born in Lewiston. Where are you from, originally?" She would laugh when telling us that the answer was invariably a location at some thousand miles distance.

Me? I always say that I'm a "damn" Californian. When they laugh, I can say that I have lived here 50 years, while observing wrinkles and grey hair to see if they were even walking around anywhere, 50 years ago. If they show some tolerance, I can explain a little about Mom's family homesteading on the Clearwater (after the US military had beaten up the Oregon Nez Perce and kicked them off to other reservations, freeing up the land to "settlement.") (If they really show some interest, I'll tell them that Dad's father was Native American.)

Steve
finding his place in the sun

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
busy enough to not have to worry about figuring out what to do next. :)

hope those along the south coast don't get clobbered this coming week!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Taking pigs to slaughter Monday. One is ours, one is sold. Been trying to clean out the freezers and rearrange. I have a whole bunch of gallon bags of frozen tomatoes that must come out immediately and be canned. It’s crunch time. Got 4 quarts of spaghetti sauce with mushrooms and onions in the pressure canner now.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
still kickin'! currently simmering some tomatoes so i can juice them. i need a break so they are on a very low simmer so i can rest in between stirs. :)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm still here trying to find a way to survive whatever is coming up next. :frow

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Took last 3 bags of tomatoes out of the freezer to cook down and can. I'm really tired of tomatoes......I take that back, I am Blessed with so much food! We have spread the bounty around the neighborhood, to friends and family. When we met our DD several weeks ago for the grand daughters to spend the week with us, I gave her eggs, green beans, eggplant and several other things. She stopped in Amarillo to see a friend on her way back home and shared the bounty. Her friend's little boy grabbed green beans and started eating them raw, starved for fresh food. I can't get that mental image out of my mind when I am out in my garden.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Took last 3 bags of tomatoes out of the freezer to cook down and can. I'm really tired of tomatoes......I take that back, I am Blessed with so much food! We have spread the bounty around the neighborhood, to friends and family. When we met our DD several weeks ago for the grand daughters to spend the week with us, I gave her eggs, green beans, eggplant and several other things. She stopped in Amarillo to see a friend on her way back home and shared the bounty. Her friend's little boy grabbed green beans and started eating them raw, starved for fresh food. I can't get that mental image out of my mind when I am out in my garden.
Lucky nieghbors. I hope they appreciate all you have provided for them :)

Latest posts