How ya doin'

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Carol Dee I would be delighted to abdicate my Pear Peeling Throne to you! LOL LOL Apples are easy to peel, pears are hard, have weird curves and those skins are on there tight! They sure are good.

29B0A9F0-5069-4BC4-B8FE-4D267D726CC1.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We bought a tote bag of bulk Feed for our steer yesterday, 1700 pounds. They loaded it in the back of the truck and we went home. DH used a Feed scoop and filled buckets, I dumped buckets in metal trash cans. We filled 5, then a 90 gallon plastic tote can on wheels, then I refilled paper Feed bags 3/4 full, got 13 of them stashed in the horse barn Feed room. Goldie the steer was very happy.

Goldie is very calm, not high headed and crazy. He will approach me when I have feed but keeps a wary eye on me. I’m enjoying having him, at least until March. LOL

E9F3F83E-8B76-4FC0-A496-5E91E5F15BD0.jpeg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We bought a tote bag of bulk Feed for our steer yesterday, 1700 pounds. They loaded it in the back of the truck and we went home. DH used a Feed scoop and filled buckets, I dumped buckets in metal trash cans. We filled 5, then a 90 gallon plastic tote can on wheels, then I refilled paper Feed bags 3/4 full, got 13 of them stashed in the horse barn Feed room. Goldie the steer was very happy.

Goldie is very calm, not high headed and crazy. He will approach me when I have feed but keeps a wary eye on me. I’m enjoying having him, at least until March. LOL

View attachment 37132

he does look calm and grandfatherly or uncly there... :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, is that a specific breed, a cross, or just a mix. I haven't been around cattle enough for 50 years to keep up with all the new breeds and crosses. Charolais and Limousine were the new hot beef breeds then. The markings look Hereford but the color is too light. Looks like he's polled too, no natural horns.

He looks like a beef steer should look with those lines. By March he should fill a freezer. :drool

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks @Ridgerunner . He is a Hereford and Charolais cross. He is not polled, he’s been dehorned. We are looking forward to home raised beef. Until then, I’ll enjoy having him around.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Shoulda figured that he was too beefy looking to have any dairy hormones.

Dad bought a Hereford bull, I guess, after he decided that we weren't on our way to establishing a dairy. With several Guernsey, we had calves of that color. They were easy to sell at the auction. Of course, additional heifers had to come from a dairy but Dad had a dairyman friend and those were easy to come by.

I wish Dad had told me that I wasn't gonna be milking dairy cows when grew up. Maybe there were several methods involved to his madness.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a Guernsey dairy not far from us. Their milk is $12 a gallon. When they went up from $10 to $12, we quit going.

Latest posts