How you keeping yourself busy?

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spending way too much time on the computer, creating nagging worry. Yet, I'm fully stocked and prepared. I did donate some extra hoarded food to a little free library thing where the residents took out the books and wanted food to fill it instead.
Went by the senior center where I buy some left over stales of bread from the bread delivery company, who drops them off for free. $1 each. Bread is no longer being delivered now. Meals for the seniors are being made but you must take it out and only three people allowed in the serving area. Nosed around in their thrift store. I think that is the last of my eyeball shopping for a while. Our Gov is trying to make up her mind about sheltering in place or not.....

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I managed to get the peat pellets I needed (along with a few more 6 packs of pansies for the front). So the cucumbers; such as actually sprout* will get out on time.

*on of the reasons I needed so many peat pellets is that the cucumber seed is very old so I assume only a fairly small amount of it will actually grow. At the same time I can't afford to waste any chance growers (such as would happen if I planted multiple seeds in one pot and had to thin down the road. So each seed is getting a pellet.)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have heard that there are people with time on their hands. I don't have any.

7:01AM: MOM! I brought you coffee
7:15AM: Have drunk coffee, informed my son I love him and he is the jewel of mankind, and gotten toddler out of crib.
7:15AM-8AM everyone is fed, dressed, diapered if needed, and at the kitchen table.
8AM to 3PM - School
3PM-7PM Dinner, trying to clean the house up if possible. It never looks good or finished due to lack of time.
7PM-8PM kids read for bed
8PM-10PM catching up on my paying job, never enough time, always have to finish on the weekends.
10PM-10:30PM any personal care I want such as a shower happens here
10:30PM-12AM or so: getting curriculum ready for the next day, writing if its super busy.

And it all begins again the next day. I get to garden/sneak on the forums during "recess" so actually get about an hour all total of gardening in a day, which has made the yards and greenhouse look super nice.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it is amazing what an hour can do sometimes. :) just gotta keep chipping at it while you can. :) to me the exercise and being outside are good therapy.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Right now I am doing NOTHING. Tired. Long hours at the assisted living, off today, on call tomorrow, then 12 hour shifts Friday, Saturday and Sunday. DH has been cutting my slack on the farm, feeding and caring for animals. Got to get the tomato trellis area dug up for tomatoes, he can't fit in the 18" wide trellis to do it. It's raining, so I don't need to get out there and get wet, cold and sick.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm realizing that this quarantine experience isn't much different from my usual (retirement) March days.

I have real trouble getting away from the plants in the backyard. Only the greenhouse heat is automatic. Ventilation has to be handled by DW or me. It can be difficult to maintain comfortable temperatures in there if the sun is bright, air temperature is near freezing, and especially if the wind is blowing.

The remote thermometer is my friend even if I have to be out there every hour. It's not like I can carry it with me while running around and be back there at a moment's notice. Well, maybe I could if I was sufficiently tech savvy.

By the way, "quarantine" has to do with a 40 day period and is from Latin. If this is actually a 40 day period, it would fit well with my trips to the distant garden after trying to set up things in the greenhouse for the day - often, making for an anxious run back in the afternoon. In a medieval setting, I would be sliding over the gunnel of a quarantined ship to sneak off into the town.

digitS'

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Right now I am doing NOTHING. Tired. Long hours at the assisted living, off today, on call tomorrow, then 12 hour shifts Friday, Saturday and Sunday. DH has been cutting my slack on the farm, feeding and caring for animals. Got to get the tomato trellis area dug up for tomatoes, he can't fit in the 18" wide trellis to do it. It's raining, so I don't need to get out there and get wet, cold and sick.

Stay healthy. I am thinking of making chicken broth and have soup as side dish with meals. I was paranoid when the virus in 2008-2009 came and read how people in the 1918 flu survived or at least gave credit to chicken or beef broth.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
People are all over the place here and not staying home much. I think my going to town is about over, but DS will be out there going to work, and my brother, but his job they are taking the employees temperature as they walk in the door. Where he works they are making something that goes into respirators. Son-in-law still going to work. I have been working in the garden and starting seeds and transplanting. DS and I cleaned the freezers. We defrosted one and stacked things where we can find easier and got rid of anything with freezer burn. I have a rag quilt to make for my new granddaughter coming end of June.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have decided to put down new flooring. We have stained concrete right now. Going to put down vinyl plank in the kitchen, dining room, hall, laundry, master bath & closet. Carpet in the living room & master bedroom. Since we are doing that, we decided to paint first. My house is a mess. Stuff is everywhere and nothing is in it's place. Drives me nuts! It is looking good though. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
. In a medieval setting, I would be sliding over the gunnel of a quarantined ship to sneak off into the town.
I think that I'd better say that I would NOT be doing that ... maybe sneaking out into an orchard to swipe fruit? Nah. Okay, hardtack every day for 40 days.

Steve (alias digitS')

Latest posts