How you keeping yourself busy?

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Had the busiest day at work we have had since the shelter in place started, but there are confirmed cases of covid19 in the county now. Sent the fifth employee home in our area of the store with flu like systems, the average time before release to work is five days. In the last three weeks I have been exposed to influenza a, influenza b, strep throat, plus a cold that is causing ear infections, and whatever the customers have brought in. We are in no-manager limbo until someone is promoted or brought in, so for now I am in charge. I am okay with that, it just means I am pulling some long hours still.

I am exceedingly grateful to have what is considered an essential job so I still have a paycheck, but I am more than ready for a break...my garden is calling

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had the busiest day at work we have had since the shelter in place started, but there are confirmed cases of covid19 in the county now. Sent the fifth employee home in our area of the store with flu like systems, the average time before release to work is five days. In the last three weeks I have been exposed to influenza a, influenza b, strep throat, plus a cold that is causing ear infections, and whatever the customers have brought in. We are in no-manager limbo until someone is promoted or brought in, so for now I am in charge. I am okay with that, it just means I am pulling some long hours still.

I am exceedingly grateful to have what is considered an essential job so I still have a paycheck, but I am more than ready for a break...my garden is calling

I don't know whether to say congrats for having a job or say I'm sorry that you have a job. Please do what you can to take care of yourself. Take zinc and selenium daily, both up your immune system. You can get too much selenium, here is a link that may help.

You can also drink hot drinks, broth if you have it,add lots of garlic and ginger. Stay healthy!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stay safe Prairie Rose!

They keep switching my husband between essential and non-essential. Luckily, I'm able to pick up extra writing work so I'm hoping I can pay, or at least help pay, the bills until this blows over.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm so appreciative of the essential workers, certainly those in healthcare, food system and public utilities. I bet the utility workers are having a little easier time with less traffic but the human traffic in the stores probably hasn't decreased much, even with the hoarding and stay@home.

I have to go to the pharmacy, today :confused: .

Raining here, then thunder, then snow and then 6.5 earthquake in southern Idaho. A lot of people felt it, but I didn't. Working on rag quilt for my new granddaughter coming end of June.
DD texted me right away about the earthquake. I immediately checked the US Geological Survey but, I was a little early for them ;). It was reported within minutes. There have been 3 point and one 4 after shock.

I didn't feel the 6.5. I was walking the Indoor Mile at that time :).

I went out to the greenhouse and garage this morning. There were flakes of snow falling about 10' apart. Only out there for maybe 5 minutes, by the time I headed back, it was almost a white-out situation. It fairly quickly stopped and it's melting.

We had way too little March precipitation so I'm kinda hoping that these "less than a half inch" for snowfall are kinda off. I'm not wishing dangerous driving conditions for those on the roads and I'm still very encouraged by the mountain snowpack conditions. I wonder how the ski areas fared - right up to the present moment.

Dang. I hope we don't have to bailout any insurance companies and banks again! I bet that's just wishful thinking.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm so appreciative of the essential workers, certainly those in healthcare, food system and public utilities. I bet the utility workers are having a little easier time with less traffic but the human traffic in the stores probably hasn't decreased much, even with the hoarding and stay@home.

I have to go to the pharmacy, today :confused: .

It will be interesting to see what you observe, Steve. Supposedly the hoarders have run out of things to hoard so traffic is dropping off some. But that may just be in areas that started earlier.

Be safe.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' Get ready to bail out the banks, it’s coming. Lost in all the hysteria, was our federal government repealed the law that banks have to have 10% of their money liquid. Now, they can lend all the money they want. Loan officers are paid bonuses on loans written-good or bad. Get ready for some bad loans to hit. Bail out-just like last time-will go to pay bonuses before they pay back lost bank money.

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The last few weeks have made me really question staying in the grocery business...I have only worked in it a few years, but the past few weeks are like nothing I have ever seen before. Being caught between a company looking to make more money from the crisis and scared belligerent customers has given me a new appreciation for working from home.

As for the management thing, I am already a department assistant manager. My name is in the pot for promotion...unless there is another person in the running that I don't know about, I am also the only one that knows exactly what I'm about to get into. You couldn't pay me enough money to be a store manager or a customer service manager at the moment.

TwinCitiesPanda

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The last few weeks have made me really question staying in the grocery business...I have only worked in it a few years, but the past few weeks are like nothing I have ever seen before. Being caught between a company looking to make more money from the crisis and scared belligerent customers has given me a new appreciation for working from home.

As for the management thing, I am already a department assistant manager. My name is in the pot for promotion...unless there is another person in the running that I don't know about, I am also the only one that knows exactly what I'm about to get into. You couldn't pay me enough money to be a store manager or a customer service manager at the moment.

In my retail experience, department manager/head is the sweet spot. You get managed less and have a decent set of responsibilities, but there are still enough people above you to escalate things to. Its very hard to make store manager (only so many positions) and assistant managers get abused to high heck and worked hard. The work/stress : pay ratio is only worth it if you're using it as a stepping-stone to store manager.

My current income is equivalent to a 3-5 yr assistant manager at my old retail job. I used to think they were overpaid, but the amount of stress in dealing with bad employees and truly terrible customers compared to how un-stressful my job is now makes me realize they deserved to be paid more - more so right now than ever.

Latest posts