How you keeping yourself busy?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
For fun, Spoonerisms.
I just learned that "pie" in Spanish is "foot" in English.

It makes me wonder how a speaker of Spanish would understand the English colloquial, "piehole." A foot-in-mouth problem?

Of course, that misunderstanding would be accurate as to what is being referred to by the English speaker: if it isn't something that the individual is stuffing in his piehole, it is contemptible nonsense coming out 🤔 .

Steve

Gogirl

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Potted some weeping willow cuttings.
Have mulberry trees to watch.
Lots of lambs to keep me entertained.
Blending cat food for the molar-less cat.
Taking pictures of things, like the pear's flowers.
Waiting on new koi to arrive as well.
View attachment 34881View attachment 34882View attachment 34883View attachment 34884View attachment 34885View attachment 34886View attachment 34887View attachment 34888View attachment 34889View attachment 34890
Great pictures. Beautiful lambs

Gogirl

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Had the busiest day at work we have had since the shelter in place started, but there are confirmed cases of covid19 in the county now. Sent the fifth employee home in our area of the store with flu like systems, the average time before release to work is five days. In the last three weeks I have been exposed to influenza a, influenza b, strep throat, plus a cold that is causing ear infections, and whatever the customers have brought in. We are in no-manager limbo until someone is promoted or brought in, so for now I am in charge. I am okay with that, it just means I am pulling some long hours still.

I am exceedingly grateful to have what is considered an essential job so I still have a paycheck, but I am more than ready for a break...my garden is calling
Praying that you will be safe from this

Gogirl

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Around here the stores are getting back to normal, all things pretty much available, even TP...the meat cases look a little bare, but we don't eat store bought meats much anyway, so it doesn't affect us. Gas prices are at all all time low of $1.79, which is nice....all containers have been filled so we have plenty of gas for spring and summer chores.

My life hasn't changed much at all, as we don't participate in a life that most folks call normal...don't have TV or any kind of news feed, immediate family still visits and we do what we've always done, extended family never did visit much anyway. Mom misses her dance classes and lunch groups, but I never had any such animal, so my life hasn't changed a bit. Good Will is closed, so there was a small blip of change.... :D The biggest change is that we can't visit Dad in the nursing home, which is a bitter pill to swallow, but I have faith that God is in control and has Dad in His hands, so I needn't worry.

Working hard each day, God has supplied our needs in abundance as usual, so nothing much is different here. It's a beautiful day outside....need to get out there and sharpen the chainsaw, going to be a GREAT work day! :weee
Sounds like a great life

Gogirl

Leafing Out
Reaction score
No, she Doesn't Need a bread machine! DD's bread machine is still in My basement. It makes only a small loaf. If she is home, all she needs is a 4-6 hr. window. I often boil water and put it in a sturdy glass and next to my bowl of rising bread to speed it along in the microwave, which is where I put my bread to rise. I have to think ahead. My three Very docile, raised by hand 2yo kittens get into ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING!!! I cannot grow plants next to the windows in my pantry or ANYWHERE else bc they will get into it, so the microwave is inaccessible to them.
This for Anybody here~
Basic White Bread Recipe (from my lovely MIL, 1920-1998, RIP)
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1 package dry yeast OR 3 teaspoons yeast from the jar (keep in the refridgerater After opening,it has an expiration date}
5-6 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar (or equivalent, some recipes call for honey, search the Internet for options)
Directions:
Put butter, milk, water and sugar in a medium sized glass bowl. Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes. Let cool until you can put your finger in the mix, add yeast, leave 10 minutes.
Use a big, metal spoon. Start with 2 cups of flour and mix. Add 1 cup at a time. If it is very humid you won't need 6 cups of flour. You will add something between 5-6 cups of flour. You can tell bc you will be able to roll it into a ball.
Prepare a clean surface, counter or island. Pour out the bread mixture. If it is sticky, add flour a handful at a time. Roll and kneed. Scrape out any of the mixture sticking to the bowl You can really beat it up at this stage--take out your anger at the COVID19 virus!!--and if you are adding seeds for seasoning this is where you mix them in well. Butter or butter spray the bowl, put back the ball of bread and leave to rise. Once it has grown a couple of inches you are ready to take it out of the bowl on your work surface and punch it down. Prepare your baking dishes by spraying with a baking spray OR butter/flour them. Roll out your bread. Take a sharp knife and eye figure to divide your loaf. I have 2 new non stick meat loaf pans. If I use Those I will cut it in 1/2. I also have a glass bread pan and 3 ceramic, small loaf pans and 1 small glass loaf pan, and I divide to fit and shape to fit. This is where you get to decide how perfect you want the top of your loaves to look. I am sloppy, but they still turn out fine.
Put them in your COLD oven to rise a 2nd time. When they have risen start the oven to 350 degrees. I give my big loaves 35 minutes. When I bake BOTH the large and the small loaves, I set the timer to 25 minutes, take out the small loaves, then turn off the oven to finish the large loaf. I leave it there for about 15-20 more minutes.
When you take them Out of the oven you need to turn them upside down on a dish. They bottoms and sides will be moist and you want them to dry out.
I always can cut my bread into slices for sandwiches.
I do this sometimes. Instead of bread loaves, I roll out the dough and butter it and sprinkle sugar and cinnamon. then roll it up and slice in about 1 in slices and bake. Delicious cinnamon rolls. You can also put powdered sugar mixed with milk as icing.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Right now their child is expecting to be punished. He isn't successful in school and that is why he acts out.

I actually feel like this is the major difference between school and home. We had a couple of days where my son dug in his heels and made it clear he was planning to passive aggressively resist education of any kind the whole day. I told him I was not teaching that attitude, quit for the day, and reminded him every time he wanted to do 'An extra page so he could get _________" that I was not teaching the rest of the day.

We've had two of those days in the last two months before that trick evaporated.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can do that. Imagine the chaos if a teacher tried that with 25-30 kids. You have advantages a teacher doesn’t. Plus you don’t care when they do their work but again a teacher has them from 8-3.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@seedcorn, even when I was in school, the % of disruptive children was lower. You didn't have these parents from both ends of the spectrum, one end sees school as a free babysitting service, the other thinks that their child's bad behavior must be a syndrome and should be accepted.
You have the children in the middle who keep wondering how soon they can leave this zoo.
ALSO, parents USED TO EXPECT other adults to verbally discipline their children if they misbehaved in public.
That's not true anymore, and children behave out of control.
Some of them end up in Juvy Jail, when they didn't need to go that route.
I hate that businesses have shut down and lives have been so severely disrupted.
Did you know that PS attendance is for the school to get state money?
Heaven forbid that they would do this to be sure that your child is where he/she is supposed to be.
I think that parents should take responsibility for their child's education and realize that elementary education is possible for them to teach. I don't believe that it's possible for everybody to full time home school, but you can oversee your children's teachers. They need oversight. The universities teach the administrators who are paid, WAAAAYYYYYY too much, and they want the PC taught youngin's for staff.
Ever heard of "don't trust anybody over 30yo?" Look at the staff at your teacher's school.
I hope that this will change.
I am a BIG advocate for SCHOOL VOUCHERS!!!!
Schools that compete will create schools that want children who have been disciplined to behave well. MY DD's knew how to behave. My eldest DD was bullied once by a group of 10 middle school children.
DH and I had to go in and "discipline" the rotten principal who let this happen without disciplining the bullies.
I was not working full time and Should have pulled all 3 out of PS. Hindsight.
I KNOW this sounds like :old:old:old:old:old:old, but small homeschooling homes are like the 1 room schoolhouse, where the best teachers brought along students at their own speed, and asked older students to help the younger ones, to tutor them, which everybody needs.
My DH is absolutely brilliant in the courtroom and with finances, but he isn't a mechanic. DH think's it's gonna take a few hours for us to get the shovel (bucket) back on our tractor. My friend, who (I have always paid) to help me with hay and odd jobs, is coming over to repair my old riding mower today and I am thinking, since his associates degree is in mechanical repair, that he could help us reattach the shovel for some work on Sunday.
We can Always learn things. You know much more than you think you do.
If you aren't good at math, doesn't matter. You can get better at math teaching math to your elementary school child.
I used to be a goofball at map reading. Since I started driving to location 7 years ago, I am a pro. I map out my routes, and, since I write off mileage, I copy, paste and make maps for my signing jobs to help me with taxes. If it's local, I don't even take it with me, just write down where it is, how many houses west of "Main St", or "Oak Avenue." Honestly, this is a new skill for me, but I give people MUCH better verbal directions now, too.

Latest posts