Hypertufa??

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Perlite is the white parts you often see in potting soil. You can buy bags of just it in the garden center.
online definition:
Perlite is not a trade name but a generic term for naturally occurring siliceous rock. The distinguishing feature which sets perlite apart from other volcanic glasses is that when heated to a suitable point in its softening range, it expands from four to twenty times its original volume.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow... thanks! I need to try the gardening center for that then.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been wanting to do this for yeeaaaarrrrs. The only thing that stops me is that I don't have any good molds. If I made one, I'd invariably make it too ornate . . . soooo, it will probably be a cold day in purgatory before I get there.

If you do it, vfem, let us know how it goes!

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I stumbled onto this Hypertufa last fall and kept telling Dh I wanted to do this for containers for the Greenhouse. Well we still haven't got around to it. :th Last year I judged some 4H entries for another counties 4H fair and 1 was a Hypertufa garden container planted it got a Blue ribbon :clap :love There is on one of the sites how to use bowls and dish pans and other items for molds. :ya I have had soo many ideas running through my head it makes me dizzy :weee :th :gig :gig

IF I EvER get a round to it I will post some :clap :caf

:happy_flower Karan :D

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I want to make some too. Just found a book the other day, but I'm sure there are plenty of websites to make them. Good luck everyone! Add that to the THINGS TO DO list.

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah, I've had a lot of projects going on around here.... just check my blog and you'll understand!

However, a friend of mine and I want to do this very much and she's going to come over and bring some boxes of different sizes and we're going to make a bunch.

She would like to make some large enough to hold some shrubs because her lot is so wooded and tangled with roots she can't get some nice coverage shrubs in the ground anywhere.

Maybe I'll try for this weekend.... with the quitting smoking, I need to keep super busy these days. :/

Latest posts