I hate grass!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Paint brush with glyphosate?

I dug up my whole butterfly garden, sorted grass from perennials, guess what? I've got grass coming back......I give it 3 acres to come up and it has to grow in garden leaving patches of my yard barren with winter annuals...... grass is more frustrating than a wife and kids!!!!!!! & just as stubborn! ;) :hide

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are products for killing grass in perennials.
I can't think of all the brand names off the top of my head, but one I remember and have used successfully is Orthos "Grass B Gon".

Read the directions of course, it's not useful for all perennials, but it does work well. Sometimes you have to treat it more than once to get the grass killed down.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Reached out to Chem rep. Will report back what he says.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe you but things sold at Walmart, Ace, etc are usually marked up 300+%. I'd rather buy a quart if concentrate for same price and make gallons of the mix. I'm cheap.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My problem with grass is when it comes up IN the planting. Here is my cranesbill geranium this spring. I can not seem to be able to pull out grass. It just breaks off. Any suggestions? View attachment 19557

Have you tried digging it out by the roots. That's how I manage grass in asparagus and blueberries. That's kind of hard on the fingernails, they crack and split, but if you wash the dishes without wearing rubber gloves a couple of times the fingernails eventually come clean. And they eventually heal. There is some pain involved, especially when your finger finds a rock. Pulling on that grass and the grass roots is pretty rough on my arthritis too, but some people consider pain character-building. By the way, I'm not one of those.

In non-edible beds I use a product with the active ingredient Poast. That is a grass only killer. As with any of these you need to check the label to see whether your plants are safe or not, but I use it in iris beds and landscaping beds with certain shrubs and junipers. I do not use it near anything edible, the withdrawal periods are pretty long. Three or six months withdrawal periods aren't uncommon with many edibles. if you use it around nut tees the withdrawal period is a solid 12 months. Nope, that stuff doesn't get anywhere close to anything edible.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My problem with grass is when it comes up IN the planting. Here is my cranesbill geranium this spring. I can not seem to be able to pull out grass. It just breaks off. Any suggestions? View attachment 19557
Take a large shovel and dig deep near the plant and lift a large clump. The grass should pull out if you grab the grass near the soil line. Step near the plant to push it back into the soil. It will be a bit of work.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did that in my butterfly garden. Guess what is coming back in? Greatly reduced in amount but still coming.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
.....I lost big time.....
:he:hit
20170827_145819.jpg 20170827_145821.jpg 20170827_145826.jpg 20170827_145828.jpg 20170827_145831.jpg

I think I'm going to dig out the plants, mow everything down and get a tiny loan to buy a crudton of 18in pavers......

Or sell the plants and turn this into a tiny pasture....

Latest posts