I just can't contain my excitment....

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
rebbetzin said:
I think in the fall I might get a couple to replace the Barred Rocks that I don't think are laying anymore. They are four years old, I wll wait through the summer to see if they are still laying at all. I am only getting one to three eggs a day at the moment from six hens. During the summer, I was getting tons of eggs!
Thats not a bad amount of eggs for your old ladies. Do you give then a light bulb? I give my hens 8 extra hours of light a night. They are young birds and were giving me ZERO eggs with out added light.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would not get chicks this time of the year. A power failure would be fatal in this weather. Have fun with them. Hav e you ever hatched your own? The most fun ever.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't think I'm getting any chicks this year... haven't bothered to order, and don't think I will. I had 2 beautiful silkies fall in my lap and a certain someone is trying to get me to take a trio of dark cornish off their hands. I may fall for it too! LOL

I think I'm going to wait until my silkies go broody for me again and then maybe I'll hatch rather then order chicks. I find it so much more fun that way! hahaha

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hide i've already started hatching for the season. i bought myself an incubator before the holidays since i couldn't wait for my bantam cochins to go broody, and had some eggs shipped. (will remember for future years to not order hatching eggs around that time. PO are very rough on anything they have received during that time! :( ) so far 1 chick hatched 2 weeks ago from the 2 dozen eggs ordered (about 1/2 started developing) and 1 chick from my own 2 eggs i put in there too. the chick from my eggs is showing its a girl! :D the other i'm still not sure on yet since it is a breed i'm not familiar with sexing. and last night i had a cute silkie chick hatch from a fellow TEG member's eggs who lives across town. and i have 2 more of my own eggs in the bator i am hoping will hatch either tomorrow or Monday.

and that will have to be it for this time of year until we move a few streets over to my FIL house and get that all fixed up and a new coop built for my sweet fluffy butts!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I usually order from the feed store in the spring but this year I may skip it. I haven't decided. I have 7 hens that just started laying and I am hoping that one will go broody. They are speckled sussex, but honestly I have only had one hen go broody and that was a buckeye two years ago.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I knew it was going to be risky getting chicks this time of year but the hatchery is only 6 hours from my post office so I'm not terribly worried. And the little babies get to live in my house until they get most of their feathers. I have never hatched at my home before. I hatched some in a couple college classes once but never under my watch 24/7. I hope I can soon though!

catjac1975 said:
I would not get chicks this time of the year. A power failure would be fatal in this weather. Have fun with them. Hav e you ever hatched your own? The most fun ever.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm hoping one of my five girls goes broody this spring or summer, so I can slip some fertile eggs under her. I get brown, light brown, and two shades of blue/green eggs, but I want dark brown eggs too. Wonder if it will be feasable to have some eggs shipped once I see she is staying broody. (Timing is everything!) There may be a local breeder I can hook up with; will have to do some investigating. I have only had chickens since April, 2011. I love the whole experience; don't even mind (much) going out at first light to let them out.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Our new chicks will arrive the first week in April. 15 Australorps. I am excited for their arrival but hope that April is warm as they will be out in the barn from day one. Last year we had them in the house and that is not going to happen again. My husband and I were sooooo sick and I do unfortunately think it was chick related. :( Can't wait to see your pics!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
HotPepperQueen said:
I knew it was going to be risky getting chicks this time of year but the hatchery is only 6 hours from my post office so I'm not terribly worried. And the little babies get to live in my house until they get most of their feathers. I have never hatched at my home before. I hatched some in a couple college classes once but never under my watch 24/7. I hope I can soon though!

catjac1975 said:
A decent incubator is over a hundred but, I've had good luck on craigs list and ebay for used equipment. If you get one get one with an egg turn-you'll have better success. Or you can use a broody hen. So much fun.

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You guys need to stop! I promised myself I wouldn't add any more girls to my flock this year. I really don't NEED any more right now, and since I sortof overdid it last year. . . ok, I really overdid it! I went to the feed store to get 4 new chicks and came home with 17! Oops! I really need to be good this year

Latest posts