I just can't contain my excitment....

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Awe thanks, Thistlebloom. He's my Little Man! He helps me garden and take care of the animals around here. He, of course, is human (or so he thinks).

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Chicken math can be deadly! I only wanted 6 originally.....I currently have three and there are 26 on the way :rolleyes: 14 of those 26 will go to freezer camp after 8 weeks so that should help. But then in May 26 more meaties will be coming....oh crap. I need to stop! :hide

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are those 14 headed for the freezer, meaties? At 8 weeks your layers won't be worth eating...Chickens are just too much fun!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was thinking/hoping that was the case! I wish I could do meaties, nothing like pasture raised chicken!

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last year a few of my momma chicks hatched out 63 baby chicks between them..Wasnt expecting that many!:D So no more orders for me for a while! HaHa

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is unbelievable! I am a fan of roasting/grilling/frying chickens whole so that will be my main purpose for my meaties. My second purpose is to provide meat for my grandparents who grew up with home raised food (meat, eggs, vegetables, fruit, grains, etc.)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
ok, that's it till we are settled into the other house and my coop is ready and settled in too! i have a total of 5 chicks now and at least one i know is a pullet! she'll be 3 weeks old on Thursday and is almost fully feathered out on her back and chest. i had 2 cochins hatch since last night and i'm wondering what colors they will end up being since i have a mixed color flock. one came out yellow but i don't think Sweetie my white laid it, it could be a buff. the other chickie looks like it is either a black or a barred. (here's hoping for the barred!)

i'm still on the fence about trying to raise meaties. my DH does the processing of roos when they get an attitude but these i know will still be youngsters when they get processed!

Latest posts