I need my annual NAGGING

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There you go, Marshall!

You are counting hours and days. We don't just react; we plan. Plan your rest breaks, too. All a part of bothering to be human.

No more of that burning daylight!

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can tell you've been busy...we've hardly seen you on here past few days. ;) Keep up the good work!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got about half of the whole garden done cleaning it out. I should be able to just about be done doing that tomorrow.

While doing that I doubled the height and halved the number of climbers for the Peas, and then stacked them on the bonus bed.

I took some before and after photos, but now my other ...very buggy... laptop on windows that I downloaded the windows photo gallery to, will not open that photo gallery... pooey! I click it and nothing, just like the program is all vaporized except for the icon. Took some photos of the so called lake too. Looks like Mars out there! Took a photo of my '57 Lark too on it's Pelican trailer all tarped up but the nose of the bow. It needs cleaning too!

Someone I saw this morning asked what I meant by firing my soil.

I intend to borrow a propane weed burner and use it on the soil surface to kill any bad bugs. That'll include after cultivating the surface too. There was a nearby Madrone that had lots of spider mites on it! I want to go proactive on controlling that. That Madrone has been turned to firewood and is now mostly ashes. Slow catching, hot burning wood! Manzanita is hottest, but comes in smaller pieces.

I'm kind of tired brained right now for long range lists, but for now it is cleanup.

Finish cleaning the beds. Backside addition, and the north berry bed. I should finish that by tomorrow at this time.

Then clean off the top netting. That will involve making the changes I plan to raise the sides of it and remove the top framing except front and back. Added bonus of that will be poles to side up some more beds. This part may take a week, maybe less.
Is that all?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I may have to clean out and start using my MR ESPRESSO coffee maker!

This french press coffee that pours like water isn't doing the trick. I'm gonna need some coffee that holds the spoon up in it!

:caf

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Yep. You NEED your coffee--GOOD START!!
I am my OWN coach. I think I can help you bc my DD's helped ME so much to throw away over 150 bags of garbage of stuff we should have thrown out before we moved in 1999!! THe housework was MUCH EASIER after that.
You suffer from the "too much to do and not enough time" syndrome. I get that on a nice summer day off--what to do first, and how not to be sidetracked by other jobs.
Here is how I focus:
1) animals first, ALWAYS, so that they are fed and watered
2) plants next bc they are also alive and neglect=dead
3) make your lists with
(a) big overall plans BY GARDEN AREA
(b) small plans, which is how you break down your BIG plans into bite-sized chunks
(c) actual lists of daily jobs by priority--
PREPARATION IS ALSO A JOB! We ALL know that when your work area is straightened up, you want to work there.

I always start my lists after I've done a few things, so I can cross those off right away, AND I include making the coffee on my daily list.
4) FINALLY, do NOT plan too much and beat yourself up bc you didn't get everything done in one day.
Since you love your computer, use IT to make your lists. I use WORD bc I can "strike out" a job after it's done.
I wish you are VERY prosperous gardening 2014!! :hugs

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Ducks, those are awesome ideas!

I did have some espresso after dusting mr espresso off. I'm on a lunch break right now.

I will definitely have the backside addition done, and a start on the berry bed. Doing that will take some time. I have to prune each kind differently. Raspberries are easy. I just cut them to 6 inches from the ground. The hybrid berries, tay boysen etc are more complicated. I'll get them. Some are the trailing kind that need staking.

(Meantime, I am being kept in the loop about a child of one of my favorite camper families who is only 8 or 9, and broke both legs badly in an accident down south, and at this moment is undergoing what will be 5 hours of major surgery. This will be a slightly extended lunch.)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Saying a prayer for the boy. How good of the family to let you know. Let us know how the surgery goes.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the younger son of the lady whose name is Kim. She is the one who gave me seeds of her family heirloom Bean which had no actual name. That variety I named for her, "Kim's Italian Flat Green" Bean. A half runner 6" podded Romano type of Bean.

Finished the back side, took out the unknown native perennial and the Malva which was 2 years old. cleaned the beds and walks. Got a good start on the berry bed.