ID'ing some Orange & Pink Tomatoes, this season

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here are some ID's for my picture in Marshall's thread. The red "EG" is an Early Girl and is just put in there for size comparison. It weighs 5 ounces, so -- your standard Early Girl.

photo.jpg

The Dagma's Perfection is just now beginning to ripen! There are lots of green fruits on the 4 plants. They ripen the palest yellow, almost a white. I was real happy with them last year and they are doing well again! It is not a tomato with any shelf-life and very mild in flavor.

The Casey's Pure Yellow are new-to-me; there are probably 5 in the picture. "Casey" is Jeff Casey in Calgary, AB. I don't know how to account for it being orange rather than yellow :p. The small plants are loaded and it was my earliest beefsteak. I'll call it a beefsteak but probably only about half the fruits are above 8 ounces. They have a real good flavor and have not split - that can be a real problem in my garden and sure is this year.

The Tigerella are kind of fun because of the stripes. It has good flavor - real juicy, little tomato.

A little tomato with a funny name is Woodle Orange. I think there are 7 of them in the picture. I cannot account for the variable size! It was true last year when I only had 1 plant. Some are larger than an Early Girl but most are only about 2 ounces. Cute little tomato with a nice flavor and really, really early. In my garden, they can beat nearly everything to ripening except the golden cherry tomatoes.

Gary O Sena is a big pink - a cross between Brandywine Pink and Cherokee Purple. They are just beginning to ripen and those 2 largest tomatoes are Gary O. I'm really excited about this one because they all look crack-free! I won't wait much longer for those green shoulders to change color before saying they are ripe.

There are other yellows & pinks out there. Rainy's Maltese came thru for about the 4th year with early pink beefsteaks but, it is a little too inclined to split. Orange Minsk may be my wife's favorite tomato but I'm really trying to replace it . . . the plants are huge and the fruits are few . . .

Just wanted to share :).

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Steve! Those are real pretty tomatoes. I'm a little envious. I've harvested about 4 cups of cherrys, and a few of some unknown Roma type. They were picked up after mine froze back in June and the tag is in there with the bush somewhere.
I'm taking notes of your early ones, but if I'm ever gonna get a decent harvest consistently I believe I'll need a hoop house.
Was thinking I'd get one up this year...but it didn't happen.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If we could just get them thru June a little better, Thistle'.

Instead of setting out in late May and being willing to cover on the coldest nights, if we could set them out into real protected growing conditions. I don't think they like overnight temperatures in the 40's let alone in the 30's. And wind -- if the plastic film can stand up to our southwest breezes for them, I think the tomatoes would really appreciate it.

By early July, the tomato plants are happy to be outdoors. Maybe, we could be fretting about frigid nights returning in September and a hoop house frame should make for easier covering. But, wouldn't it be nice to have ripe tomatoes for weeks and weeks in July and August?

Steve

Now, if I just thought I could afford cattle panels for 60+ plants. Tomato Gardener Rick's idea for a protected growing frame/trellis:

fence1.jpg

growtunnel4.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That picture is pretty enough to be in a catalog. Cattle panels are so useful...I just wish they weren't $25 a pop!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are waay cool 'maters! I like those yellow ones.

One of these days I may start crossing tomatoes up again...

It's the ole, whatayagit if ya cross a woodle with a wapsipinicon?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Come visit me Journey! Bring a truck and I'll take you to where they are 19.95 each!
I'd bring the truck AND trailer too! :D

Latest posts