ID'ing some Orange & Pink Tomatoes, this season

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those panels come 12 foot long here, and cost 42 clams, give or take 6 dollars depending on the store.

Want to make some money? Load up a Peterbilt with as many as you can of those at 19 buck panels, and bring them to Ukiah California, Park the truck in the truck stop, put up a sign saying you'll sell them for 34 bucks. Your load will all be sold in 4 hours or less! Stores will make contracts with you! You'll be doing a load a week!

I'd sure like a couple of those for 20 bucks each!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
All Right! Pull that 18-wheeler over!!

DSC00529.JPG

More Perfections! They have just started coming off the plants. The one at the top weighs 7 ounces. I think that the only way I'd appreciate this variety more is if it came in just a little earlier. Plenty of tomatoes and, altho' mild - a very nice flavor. A couple have splits on this bad year but mostly, blemish free!

I have belittled Orange Minsk but the single huge plant I have in the garden is doing fine producing tomatoes this year. It does have a wonderful flavor and doesn't have much trouble with splitting. The largest one is 14 ounces. There were a few a week ago with more to come. That one there must be the largest on the plant but there was one a couple years ago just short of 2 pounds.

Earl of Edgecombe holds some real promise. The one in the picture isn't quite ripe and it is only the 2nd fruit off the plant. There are quite a few more and I don't think there is a split, amongst them! We ate the 1st and it was delicious but then I read a complaint about their tough skins. I didn't notice that. You know, a tomato doesn't need a tough skin not to split. The skin has to be somewhat elastic.

There's an old adage that when you are looking for a home and if one looks better each time you see it -- that's the place for you! I'll try Earl again next year and munch down that tomato in the picture in a day or 2 with undivided attention ;).

Perfection has been with me for 2 years and I'm sold! Minsk has been around a few years longer and I can't make up my mind . . . of course, DW may make up my mind for me :/.

Steve :)

edited to add: I haven't harvested a single Kellogg's Breakfast this year - none are ripe. The temperature tomorrow morning after this wind storm blows thru is supposed to be 39F. Maybe that will wake the darn things up!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are some beautiful tomatoes Digit! I just harvested another cluster of Safeway Cluster, and two more Big Rainbows. I like the Pineapple more than Big Rainbow, mmm, but only by points. Pineapple is prettier and bigger. Impresses more of the boat babes around here. But those safeway clusters really don't seem to mind being hidden from the gophers more.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DSC00557.JPG

This picture was taken almost a week ago. The fruit still isn't quite ripe, it might just as well have stayed on the plant but the variety is just too late for my garden. I hope it isn't too tasty :/. All the heirlooms were 3 months old before I set them out. The cool nights and cool spring just delayed them too long. And now, the plants could easily have been toast. It is just that running about 10 warmer than normal is making ripe (or, nearly-ripe) fruit possible.

DSC00564.JPG

This isn't really any smaller than the Dr. Wyche's Yellow. I have just made it look smaller by setting the tomato on Early Girls instead of cherries ;). Last year, I had some Kellogg's Breakfast mature and it was a very similar growing season. I picked this one yesterday and it's a long way from fully ripe. Ah well, we don't know unless we try . . . and, try again.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You just grow the prettiest tomatoes Steve! I tried Dr. Wyches last year and only got a few to ripen before the end of the season.

I can't remember how I liked them :rolleyes: .

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you :).

We really shouldn't be trying to shoot the moon with these varieties, Thistle'. I know better than choose 80-day tomatoes. If it is really one of these boat-shaped yellows that I've got my heart set on, maybe I should just go with Orange Minsk. Tomato Growers Supply says it is "70 to 80 days" and that sounds about right. It comes in just about when the 73-day Big Beefs ripen. It is just that the Big Beefs (big beeves?) will be loaded and the Minsk is a huge plant with only a few tomatoes on it.

As I said a few days ago, Dagma's Perfection is more of an ivory than a yellow and it is very mild. Still, it really comes on strong late in the season with some real nice tomatoes. You gotta like 'em mild, tho' - and, eat 'em quick because they don't last.

Casey's requires another season in my garden! It sure was early. I did sample the 1st a little too early and was surprised at the tartness. Later, they had a better, fully-ripe flavor. Earl was really great! I'm looking forward to having those 2 again. Woodle, I really like the little guys but they are really, almost a red. And, it tastes like a red . . . 's okay :p. Early!

Next year? Maybe Valencia . . ! Johnny's says it is a 76-day tomato! Tomato Growers carries it, too :).

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haha! I gotta tell you Steve, your tomato enthusiasm is infectious! You've got me thinking about next years tomatoes, and I was thinking about skipping them next year. Caseys sounds good, maybe I'll pick up one of last springs seed catalogs and look around...

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I didn't have good luck with the Valencia I tried last year. Few fruit, and mostly pith, as I remember. Guess It could have been the fault of the weather, or the gardener. :/ Hopefully you will have better luck than I did.

Latest posts