ID'ing some Orange & Pink Tomatoes, this season

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Forget the roses, boquet of flowers...........just send tomatoes!!!!!!!! Those are really gorgeous!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have all said nice things about this season's pictures :)! Let me include one from a couple years ago. This variety has been in my garden for about 4 or 5 years but has had some problems in the last 2. This picture kind of reminds me that they can do well:

final%2520tomato%2520harvest.jpg

I am still trying to get it right in the "early pink beefsteak" group and would appreciate suggests for an early-ripening variety, please. Gardeners in other locations have broader choices, starting with Pink Brandywine, I suppose. I'm reluctant to even try Brandywine.

I once grew Pruden's Purple, which is a pink. It was a wonderful tomato plant, very large with lots of big beefsteaks that were excellent! It was, however, very late in my garden. Pruden's Purple is supposed to be "an early-ripening Brandywine type" but I don't think a fruit ripened until the final week of the season and most had to be brought in to the kitchen counter.

The Maltese in the picture was from very late, that season. However, this variety was always the very 1st beefsteaks to ripen . . . except that Casey's had them beat this year. Their problem in 2011 & 2012 wasn't ripening but splitting. The last one this season was in terrible shape and the earlier ones were not much better. It is still remarkable that they can show up so early each year but, right now, I'm disappointed.

Steve