If you want something done right...

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
MY cats attack the laptop power cord, so, Yeah, knitting is out of the question.
AND, when you make a mistake it's FOREVER!!! :he
Rather sew, bc you can rip out a messed up seam, or buy more fabric and start over.
Mistakes are usually fixable in knitting too.

I've been working on a shawl/stole for DD and my cat adores it. Every time I sit down to knit, there he is settling in for a nap right on top.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My daughter is really into dolls right now. This year for Christmas she got a whole tone of Barbie and Chelsea (Barbie's daughter) clothing. I have no idea who makes this stuff, but it is obvious that who ever is doing it doesn't play with the dolls. Some of the clothing straight up doesn't fit. Others are really tight, or the straps are so flimsy they break. My daughter was in tears because she can't even play with her own toys without a parent there to help undress/dress everyone.

Well a quick look at the clothing revealed this stuff is stupid easy to make, so off to the craft store we went. This is the first piece I've made for my daughter. She loves it, and she can easily undress/dress the doll herself. I'm getting a sewing machine so I can make a full wardrobe for her. It arrives Tuesday!

I'm going to make her a full wardrobe. View attachment 54319
We never had too many barbies for our kids, but what we had, had the same trouble. And Barbie has a kid?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@AMKuska, what kind of foot pedal do you have on your machine? In trying to restore some old machines, I found that some foot pedals only work when the electrical circuit is complete. It has only one speed: Fast or stop. Others, a bit more expensive, have variable speed controls that work like a gas pedal on a car. You might do some experimentation with your machine to see if it will *barely* go. If not, and if you don't have a speed bar on the machine itself, think about getting a more cooperative foot pedal. As I am not an electrician, this explanation might be lacking, lol.
When my grand daughters were younger, they had American girl-type dolls. Not the super expensive ones, but the Walmart ones. I made clothes for them and had so much fun. I hated when they outgrew them. One year I bought a doll and made a whole wardrobe for her, then packaged it all together for donation for Christmas gifts.
For fancy clothes, I would shop the thrift stores and get some cast-away glitsy top. A formal gown with full skirt could be made from that.
Have fun!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
@AMKuska, what kind of foot pedal do you have on your machine? In trying to restore some old machines, I found that some foot pedals only work when the electrical circuit is complete. It has only one speed: Fast or stop. Others, a bit more expensive, have variable speed controls that work like a gas pedal on a car. You might do some experimentation with your machine to see if it will *barely* go. If not, and if you don't have a speed bar on the machine itself, think about getting a more cooperative foot pedal. As I am not an electrician, this explanation might be lacking, lol.
When my grand daughters were younger, they had American girl-type dolls. Not the super expensive ones, but the Walmart ones. I made clothes for them and had so much fun. I hated when they outgrew them. One year I bought a doll and made a whole wardrobe for her, then packaged it all together for donation for Christmas gifts.
For fancy clothes, I would shop the thrift stores and get some cast-away glitsy top. A formal gown with full skirt could be made from that.
Have fun!
I actually wrote Singer about it, and recently got back a reply. They said for my particular sewing machine, there is no other foot pedal, and no option to adjust the settings. I had a good long sulk where I didn't sew, and recently got it out again to make the pink dress.

...it is affably sewing slowly when I ask it to, as if it never jolted its way to lightning speed. I'm pleased that it is working, but also annoyed that it's not all that consistent.

I'm making a second copy of the pink dress today, this time to put together some accessories with and put on Etsy. I'm excited to finish it. :)

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Would it be possible to run the power through a dimmer switch, to limit the flow of electricity to the machine? I am not electrically inclined, but perhaps there is a device that could work. Also, I saw someone suggest placing a wedge of wood or something along those lines under the pedal to prevent it from depressing too far.

Lastly, for years I have seen sewing machines offered for a low price or for free, as many older folks are downsizing and they often have a hard time finding a home for their once loved machines. My mom, the seamstress, has donated several car loads of fabrics, notions, and even sewing machines to the local high school textiles program because she has so much. If there happens to be a senior centre in your area it could be worthwhile to put up a note, to see if anyone has a second hand machine that needs a good home. In a perfect world, it would be a model that makes you feel happy when you sew with it. :)