I'm here in Washington state

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My potatoes are doing well, yours should be fine.

My tomatoes have the beginnings of fruit, but that's because I started them back in %^&*@#$ February and suffered their company in the house for a month past their welcome.

My romaine is just beginning to look lively.

Pat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have no actual peas either. I have two foot hight pea plants but not a sign of blossom. I think the cold nights and days have tricked the plants into hibernation. :dance

Just planted 25 sweet potato slips last night. I hope it warms up or they will be packing their little potato bags and hitch hiking to Georgia.

The only thing I have been able to harvest so far is some romaine I started from plants.

Am hoping the weather man is right about this weekend and we get some much needed sun.

If that weather man and or woman is WRONG about the sun coming out I'm hitch hiking with your sweet potatoes! :pop

My romaine is also the only thing that has really thrived. :woot

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How is it that I didn't catch that you said sweet potatoes? :rolleyes: You might want to wait and plant them on the 4th of July. But with the warm spurt they are predicting, they might do ok. Can you start them indoors, just in case? It is supposed to get cool again after the weekend. I've never tried sweet potatoes here.

Congrats on your romaine!

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Just got caught back up here. :D Been working in the garden.

Yes call me daring-or stupid-I did plant the sweet potatoes. They are looking pretty good so far. Lost a couple of the slips as they were so darn small they just wizened up and died. The other slips were large and strong. I have never done them but thought I could get a few to grow. I hate paying .89 cents a lb at the store for sweet taties. I usually don't buy them but every once in awhile i cave in and spend the $$$.

The warmer weather is perking up many things. I have some small eight ball zukes and small starts of patty pan that are growing into squashes. I keep buying more plant starts and my hubby is ready to admit me to the looney bin.(no offence to anyone out there):idunno I think collecting plants is a disorder. ha ha

Pat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Along with the chicken addiction...
I couldn't agree more about the plant disorder also...

I'll meet you in the looney bin! :weee

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ya, we can have a weekly meeting at Starbucks for plant and chicken addictions. I am wanting to get chicks but don't have our old chicken house ready yet. Hubby keeps saying no(does that stop me?):D I keep telling him he better let me have chickens or I will stop buying eggs. He eats a lot of em.

Pat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
LOL I've wanted Chickens for over 13 years and finally my hubby and agreed!!!!!!

Where do you meet at Starbucks? In the Seattle area?
:watering

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Talk about cold weather and no bees... I had thousands of strawberry flowers... almost none got pollinated so I have no strawberries!!! I should have taken a brush to them all. :hit

The potatos are going well here too... but none of the warm season stuff, even the zucchinis died!!!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm sorry silkiechicken. Its been cold here in my neck of the woods too. :(

Any more strawberry flowers coming? Mine are still flowering, but they might be a different kind. :/

I've got a ton of bees though. Mostly bumblebees, but we also bought mason orchard bees this year. I think we have so many bees because we have a lot of unmowed clover.

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Pat, I am about 4 hours form Seattle. That would be an expensive support group. :D I think I have him won over. I worked on the chicken idea all weekend and finally convinced him. Now I need to spend time away from the garden and beef up the old chicken house we have and put up new chicken wire. I am hoping to free range but want a pen for the first couple of months.

Silkiechicken. I have killed 5 cucumbers and two other melon plants due to cold weather and planting to early. I was so excited to get my garden in early and I had to re seed several things. Good news is the past few days that we have had for sun, has done the plants a world of good. It is amazing how fast they can grow under the right conditions.

I have put some brightly colored flowers near my garden to coax the bees and I actually saw one yesterday. I told him to bring his friends. Where we live the majority of the agriculture is Christmas Trees. Not may orchard trees or clover crops so bees go somewhere else. :bee

Sorry about all the strawberries. If I had that many I think I would invest in the Mason bees as well. It is amazing you can mail order your own bees!!:tools

Latest posts