I'm here in Washington state

Pat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ok 4 hours east west north or south? ;)

I know my cucumbers are really looking pitiful.... I only have one strawberry plant that has blossoms! My squash is bad. :he

My radish's are growing well.

I'm lucky that our neighbor bought mason bees and I do see some around :bee

I so sorry to all of that are losing our gardens!!!!

Yah!!!! Nubsmum your getting chickens!!!!! Where are you going to order from? What kind... do you think I'm excited too, I am! :ya

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Our local feed store can order chicks through August. I had inquired about RIR but was also interested in Golden Comets. Thought maybe I would get 15 of each and hope I don't get any "packing peanuts". We live in the country but if we had a really loud Roo I am sure the neighbors would not be so happy.

You should have heard my pleading voice when I tried to talk him into the chicken idea. I sounded like a kid asking for his first dog. "please, I promise to take good care of them and not make you do any of the work"
Now I have to prove myself and get all the work done on the coop and get the chicken wire up. :weee
That way he can't complain. I can't blame him. I have him putting up a 32x25 dog kennel right now because we have 6 English Bulldogs. (this is the guy who doesn't care much for critters)

We had chickens way back when we first moved out where we are but that was the days of no internet and I didn't know that much about them. We got adult aracaunas and it was winter so they were not laying. I had three small kids them and it was just too much work so I gave them to a friend. Back then you could practically get eggs for free at the store.

I have always loved chickens-as pets-that is.

Hope your garden starts to warm up. I bought more plants today. Go figure. I stumbled on Ground Cherries at a local nursery so thought I would give them a try. I am going to put them in more of the buckets like the earth box idea.

Stay warm!!:ya

Forgot to add. About 40 minutes east/south of Portland Oregon.

Lettuce Lady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Glad to meet you all. I'm also in Western WA. 45 minutes NE of Seattle.

Sad to hear but relieved that others are having sorry looking gardens. Of the seeds I planted outdoors only the lettuce, spinach and corn came up. Not a single carrot sprouted. :( I'm going to sow some more carrots today, maybe this time they will take. The onions from starts look great. The tomatoes are finally looking decent. Don't think the peppers will make it. Last year the peppers were wonderful. I did harvest some blueberries yesterday, yum.

Pakalana

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
In North Central Washington here.

Due to a weird, long, cold Spring and life, my garden....can I cry now???

The melons are all looking rather pathetic, peas are doing great! I tried the Wando this year and am going to stick to it. It fares the heat so much better. Poor garden, it's just been a rough go this year. Had a heat wave mid Spring, then back to cold, then hot again...my plants weren't exactly impressed. ;)

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, my garden is in shambles this year.

That Hot spell early spring stunted all the peas and cool season crops (everything bolted). Then the cold spell killed almost all my corn and tomatoes. Yesterday had a high of 62F!! No wonder most my corn are 6 inches tall and I only have tomato blossoms. Eaten a few pod and snow peas, with a decent crop of bok choi, but all else is suffering... even my tomato plants are suffering!!! They didn't even flower and are dying!

The Mustard Seed Gardener

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm in Buckely Washington! :rainbow-sun

silkiechicken said:
Yeah, my garden is in shambles this year.

That Hot spell early spring stunted all the peas and cool season crops (everything bolted). Then the cold spell killed almost all my corn and tomatoes. Yesterday had a high of 62F!! No wonder most my corn are 6 inches tall and I only have tomato blossoms. Eaten a few pod and snow peas, with a decent crop of bok choi, but all else is suffering... even my tomato plants are suffering!!! They didn't even flower and are dying!

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well hi to you and your DH. We live on the Plataeu off of Old Buckley hwy. My avatar photo is my veiw from my front porch...We just love it here. Do you still have connections or family out this way? :frow

Pakalana said:
The Mustard Seed Gardener said:
I'm in Buckely Washington! :rainbow-sun
You're getting close to home now, dh and I grew up in Enumclaw!

Pakalana

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I could tell, I miss that view. :) One of dh's uncles used to have a place out that way.

We've both got family, I've got friends over there still, although some have moved over here. Bonney Lake, Wilkeson, Enumclaw (my midwife), Everette, Snohomish, they're all over. We don't get over that way much anymore because of the farm, dh's work, gas prices, you know how it goes. It was hard to move away, our grandparents moved out there and raised families, they raised their families, not easy to leave those kinds of ties. I did manage to coerce my family for a family reunion here this year, so it's going to be good to see them all again.
Talk about some fertile soil too! Now if I could just transplant some of that soil over here with the growing season and I'd be sitting pretty. ;) As it is, I'm amending my soil, dreaming of that nice black soil and eventually I'll get there.

I don't miss the rain and overcast. Grew up with it, lived with it for 25 yrs, never got used to it. LOL So much easier to turn off the sprinklers and irrigation than the clouds. ;)

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Reunions are great! I hope you have a wonderful one. I love reunion, both family and school.
I'm orginally from Staten Island N.Y.! We moved here in 1984. Love the area and the folks. We have 15 acres.

Our dd lives in Sumner, and our youngest ds lives in Bonney Lake. Our oldest in South Carolina. All the rest of our family live on the upper East coast.

We have a couple cows, (pets). 2 llamas, 2 geese, 11 chickens,
2 dogs, 2 cocketeils and one turtle dove.

I run a feeding mission Called The Mustard Seed Connection...we cook meals to feed the hungry! Last night we served 104 hot meals. No time to be bored here! :frow

Latest posts