I'm probably gonna die, it's been nice knowing yall

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just ate what was probably bad cabbage....
Not on purpose.
Ya see... what had happened was

In a sleepy haze this morning I grabbed a small container of left over cabbage and pork - that I had brought to work for lunch last week but didn't finish because it was a bit bland. I dumped in some ground beef and squash and a little salt and ran out the door. A little while ago I heated it up and sure enough, adding the beef and salt did the trick. It was really good. As I was finishing up the last bit I thought "Gee, wish I had just brought some salt last week ..." And THAT was when a little scene flashed before my mind... of getting home last Thurs or Fri and thinking that the chickens would enjoy this cabbage since I didn't.. and sitting it on the counter to carry out to them... and then getting a call.. and then getting distracted with chores... and then - late that evening - sticking it in the fridge thinking that I don't want to leave it out all night and give the chickens a rotten, smelly 'treat'... and then grabbing that same container this morning... .

Yall remember me fondly and say nice things at my funeral (just not things about how stupid I was to put that container back in the fridge.. or how stupider it was to forget HOW it go in there when I pulled it out again..)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many year sago I had food poisoning form cafeteria food at the school where I taught. After a trip to the doctor, an ER visit I was still not better. The truth was, I don't think they believed me that I had food poisoning. The doctor's office called to see how I was doing and when I was not better had me come in. He gave me a magic pill and I got better ....9 days after I first got sick. At the time it was a new pill, and he told me it would have been 6 weeks before I got better without it. I wished the first 2 doctors had listened to me.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just ate what was probably bad cabbage....
Not on purpose.
Ya see... what had happened was

In a sleepy haze this morning I grabbed a small container of left over cabbage and pork - that I had brought to work for lunch last week but didn't finish because it was a bit bland. I dumped in some ground beef and squash and a little salt and ran out the door. A little while ago I heated it up and sure enough, adding the beef and salt did the trick. It was really good. As I was finishing up the last bit I thought "Gee, wish I had just brought some salt last week ..." And THAT was when a little scene flashed before my mind... of getting home last Thurs or Fri and thinking that the chickens would enjoy this cabbage since I didn't.. and sitting it on the counter to carry out to them... and then getting a call.. and then getting distracted with chores... and then - late that evening - sticking it in the fridge thinking that I don't want to leave it out all night and give the chickens a rotten, smelly 'treat'... and then grabbing that same container this morning... .

Yall remember me fondly and say nice things at my funeral (just not things about how stupid I was to put that container back in the fridge.. or how stupider it was to forget HOW it go in there when I pulled it out again..)

if you dldn't like it last week how did you manage it this week? i'm foncused...?

anyways, you've been a hoot, will miss you and tell fond stories of the MooCowEva and lady down south that i've never met.

p.s. keep us posted. we want deets... :)

p.p.s. cabbage usually just turns into saurkraut.

p.p.p.s. we all gotta go sometime.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
ohmygosh!!! Yall make me look crazy laughing out loud all alone here in the scale house.

So far so good. :fl

@flowerbug , it was just sorta bland last week. I added some stuff this morning and it was quite tasty this time around... or maybe it 'cured' on the counter... :idunno

@seedcorn , that's what I was sorta hoping - that there was enough vinegar in the cabbage that the little bit of pork wasn't going to be a problem

Perhaps all those years at the riding stable eating gas station fried chicken and picking flies out of mountain dew are paying off. My new superhero name is Cast Iron (stomach, that is). :gig:gig

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It’s in cabbage....natural preservative. If rotten cabbage killed, the east would be dead-China, etc.....
There is a famous sour kraut story in my family. My Grandparents were born and lived a long time in Poland.. (They were born around 150 years ago.) My Dad was the only sibling born here. My grandparents lost many children, as that was the times. They lost 3 i a week to what was likely a diphtheria epidemic. My uncle Felix was the sickest of all and his death was thought to bee imminent. He woke up and asked for some kapusta, (sour Kraut.) Hs parents obliged figuring the was going to die anyway. He ate it all and drank the sour juices. He lived and died a very old man in the US. He always said it saved his life.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a terribly sad story - three children in a week..., and at the same time, a wonderful bit of family lore.

Latest posts