I'm probably gonna die, it's been nice knowing yall

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, I hope you are still kicking, Cane. But I think it would take more than bad pork and cabbage to knock you down.

I think I had a mild bout of food poisoning this past weekend. I'm still not quite up to normal, what ever that is. My son and his "spouse" have both worked in the food industry for years, and they say lettuce is the worst for getting food poisoning. Even if washed, it may not be stored properly, meat juices could drip in it in the fridge, etc. I just know I hate dry heaves.:sick
We don't eat out much at all. This was our favorite Mexican place. Bummer.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you're tougher than what you think. You're not going to let a little ole bit of cabbage put you 6 ft. under are you? Who's going to take care of your cow then?

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
ohmygosh!!! Yall make me look crazy laughing out loud all alone here in the scale house.

So far so good. :fl

@flowerbug , it was just sorta bland last week. I added some stuff this morning and it was quite tasty this time around... or maybe it 'cured' on the counter... :idunno

@seedcorn , that's what I was sorta hoping - that there was enough vinegar in the cabbage that the little bit of pork wasn't going to be a problem

Perhaps all those years at the riding stable eating gas station fried chicken and picking flies out of mountain dew are paying off. My new superhero name is Cast Iron (stomach, that is). :gig:gig

i think anyone who eats any of those hot dogs that roll around for hours and hours they gotta have a pretty sturdy digestive system... i've seen some so green or gray that i can't imagine how they tasted, but i sure wasn't going to be that customer. i'll often buy a loaf of bread and small jar of peanut butter when on the road as the safer alternative to many fast foods or truck stop fast fare.

it's just so much nicer to not have digestive problems when driving down the highway at 70-90mph...

i'm glad you're still with us Cane... :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hang Tuff, Cast Iron!

Kim Chi. Wow! Some of it is very good. Some that I've had (sampled) could only be eaten by the Cast Iron family!

Whatever you try, don't eat sauerkraut made from mustard greens. Zounds!

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a terribly sad story - three children in a week..., and at the same time, a wonderful bit of family lore.
The first time may Mother met my Grandmother , that was the first thing she told her. All those years later...the center of her story. I am sure it was a common event in those times.They are recorded in the family church. My parents visited in the 70s and found the church, the family farms, and the recorded births, deaths, marriages. My son is there now and the village name may be lost to us. Why did we write nothing down? I guess we thought they would live forever. My son and his wife visited Aushwitz, As a Catholic I never really thought about the impact of the Holocaust on my family. My son found 36 pages of Jachimowicz, my original family name, in the Nasi book of the dead. Who knows the why of the choices for death. It is a very common name in Poland, I am told. Another relative visited the camp and said every name ever associated with the family were listed. I never knew. As the youngest protected baby, my parents would never have disclosed this to me.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Raw vegetables are the worst if not home raised. Even then if you use a lot of compost, it can be risky. Washing is of very little value-notice very little vs of no effect.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Food poisoning is cured with apple cider vinegar. I mix ACV with honey, half and half, put 3-4 tablespoons in a small glass, add a little water and SIP it. Even if you throw it back up, keep sipping until it is gone. It will stop diarrhea in 30-45 minutes.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just ate what was probably bad cabbage....
Not on purpose.
Ya see... what had happened was

In a sleepy haze this morning I grabbed a small container of left over cabbage and pork - that I had brought to work for lunch last week but didn't finish because it was a bit bland. I dumped in some ground beef and squash and a little salt and ran out the door. A little while ago I heated it up and sure enough, adding the beef and salt did the trick. It was really good. As I was finishing up the last bit I thought "Gee, wish I had just brought some salt last week ..." And THAT was when a little scene flashed before my mind... of getting home last Thurs or Fri and thinking that the chickens would enjoy this cabbage since I didn't.. and sitting it on the counter to carry out to them... and then getting a call.. and then getting distracted with chores... and then - late that evening - sticking it in the fridge thinking that I don't want to leave it out all night and give the chickens a rotten, smelly 'treat'... and then grabbing that same container this morning... .

Yall remember me fondly and say nice things at my funeral (just not things about how stupid I was to put that container back in the fridge.. or how stupider it was to forget HOW it go in there when I pulled it out again..)
So are you OK?

Latest posts