I'm starting to plan next years gardens, looking for feed-back.

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm looking for thoughts on where to buy and what to buy. I'm trying to avoid GM and hybrid plants/seeds and going for lots of heirlooms. Also it would help if they are cheap. I'm planning on buying/growing (somethings I'm also growing but have the seeds for them):

Potatoes
Tomatoes- Large and cherry
Snow peas
carrots
Gourds
Moon and Star watermelons
Lettuce
Pumpkins
winter squash

and possibly Lavender.

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts (as in never grow them or their wonderful) on these Gourds/squash/watermelon/ pumpkins?:

Speckled Swan Gourd
Rouge Vif D' Etampes Pumpkin
Blacktail Mountain Watermelon
Katanya Watermelon
Moon and Stars Watermelon
North Star Watermelon
Queensland Blue Squash

Andy J

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The only one that I am familiar with is Moon and Stars watermelon.They were not very sweet,in my opinion.I thought of them as more of a novelty,due to their odd coloration.

Andy J

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I will suggest you go with a the crimson sweet watermelon. Shorter time to ripen, and very sweet and juicy for your climate.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We love the crimson sweets too and grow them every year. I put lots of composted chicken poo on my watermelon patch this year and got the biggest and most melons I've ever grown!

The speckled swan gourd is an ornamental. You can paint them. I grow the bird house gourds every so often for that purpose.

On potatoes, you will want to find a variety that does well in your area. You are not too far from where I am. We do great with Kennebecs and Red Pontiac.

On carrots, consider the quality of your soil. If you have rocky soil or heavy clay, you'll do better with a short carrot (like nantes), but if you have loose, loamy soil then long slender carrots will do well for you.

Your county ag extension agency can be a great source of information tailored to your region. Sometimes they may lean more heavily toward commercial varieties, but mine has a fellow who specializes in heirlooms too.

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I really like the Collective Farm Woman melon
I'll look into it.

I will suggest you go with a the crimson sweet watermelon. Shorter time to ripen, and very sweet and juicy for your climate.

We love the crimson sweets too and grow them every year. I put lots of composted chicken poo on my watermelon patch this year and got the biggest and most melons I've ever grown!
Looks like that is something I'll be growing this year. :)

On potatoes, you will want to find a variety that does well in your area. You are not too far from where I am. We do great with Kennebecs and Red Pontiac.
I'll look into them.

The speckled swan gourd is an ornamental. You can paint them. I grow the bird house gourds every so often for that purpose.
I know but I love just having some fun gourds in the garden. :)

Any other thoughts I'm going to be adding more plants to get feed back on, but any ideas on Tomatoes? I'm going to be using them to freeze for winter feed for chickens.

Latest posts