In a pile of dirt

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Noah Will, this year, potatoes, sweet spuds, onions, garlic, and tomatoes are all that made it into my veggie beds this year. Really ashamed to say that with 30 acres at my disposal.

I also have chickens. I, too, had to fence in the garden to protect the beds from vandalizing chickens. There are gremlins who leave the garden gate open to predation by the flock. Never anyone who will admit to doing it, however.

Noah Will

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
With 4 growing seasons here I'm shamed to say the same. Should plant more but haven't. REALLY love tomatoes and last time I did, I did 4 heirlooms one of which was a purple price. YUM and DROOL is all I got to say about them! As to the chicken freeloaders we got, they get into the patch easy enough, I don't have bird netting over top of mine...that's how they get in here. Punks. They're to cute to punish though, plus they make me breakfast so what ya gonna do?
You can almost hear them saying "Not me, didn't do it ya can't prove a thing" when I confront them and YES I do have proof

Attachments

• 20160522_101727.jpg
    20160522_101727.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 241

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
My fence is only 4 ft. high. I know they can fly over it, but in the past 4 years no one has gotten in that way. I have had a couple 'temporary' garden prowlers let themselves out in the evening by flying over, though.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I plant sweet potatoes, potatos and onion, Ms Mary. For me, they're the easiest thing and take the least amount of effort. I DO try my hand at herbs, we got 2 growing along our path leading to the house. Flowers are mostly the wild sort, the hardy sort you have to work at to kill. See, we got chickens. My garden plot is fenced but they sometimes still get to it. Thank you for the querying, how about yall?
I cram as much as I can into my expensive real estate :p I have 6 fruit trees in the ground and 4 more in large containers. Also the usual veggies and berries. I also have 5 chickens. Everything is organic and grows fairly well in my cool summers and mild winters.

Mary

Noah Will

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
ninnymary- that is a very nice coop. I got coop envy! So neat and tidy! Ours I did up from a U-haul container I got for free off Craig's List. ( one corner was busted so they couldn't rent it out no more ) Chopped off the top, gave it a pitched roof, added the enclosure on one side, pallets for my "anti poop board walk" and privy wall sos all the stuff for cleaning aren't such an eye soar. That little shrub looking thing kinda blocking the view of my masterful build ( haha ) is a young orange tree ( also free ) I got from our neighbor as thanks for some bartering we do. I'm looking to barter for a mango tree soon as I can find someone to do so. Since that trip we took to Indian Harbour and that drive across Mathers Bridge where all those mango trees were, I got it set in my head to get 1 planted. The difference in the taste was unbelievable! Like tree candy! Never going to buy market mango again! We stopped at this one house that had a table loaded with them and an honor bucket and got us $5 worth, at .25, .50 and .75 a piece that ended up a bunch! I could'av eaten myself sick if my wife didn't remind me we were sharing them with our kids and her mom. Oh and maybe a kumquat tree. I love me some kumquat! Between me and my son we are some fruit eating pigs. It's a challenge for my wife to keep us in fruit between shopping days. You know what I'd really like to try a hand at? Blue berry bushes. I don't care for them but the wife and kids do and so do the chickens. Plus they're pretty to look at. Never growed one before though. Growed. Grew? Grew don't look right. You pick. My head hurts.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love your posts Noah Will! :)
I'm a kumquat fiend also, unfortunately they don't grow here. ...Maybe an indoor one would...hmmm.

Thanks to a generous member here I now have a Meyer lemon for a winter house guest. (thanks Nyboy!)

Noah Will

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment thistle! You can call me Will, Noah's the nickname my wife calls me when she talks to her friends cause accordin to her I got a way with animals. I had to look up meyer lemon, never heard of it till just then when I read your post. Forgot to mention we got peanut plants all over. I didn't plant them, the visiting squirrels we got plant some of the peanuts we give them. I like the way they look so I let them grow where ever they pop up and every body here loves peanuts, chickens included.
Hey to ninnymary - what kind of chickens you got? Plus, what kind of trees? I visited San Francisco a few times in my younger days. Loved the way even in summer you had best not forget a sweater or something cause it could still get chilly. Me and heat, not friends. I know, funny huh? Living in Florida. I'm a transplant! Were it up to me, I'd have us all packed up and living in Montana or Colorado or someplace. Heck even parts of Texas gots heat thats just heat minus this humidity I'm cursed with here. I know I'm all over the map here but I just got hit with a thought on Napa, see you'r in SF...that's California. So I thought on Napa. What's that got to do with your trees? Nothing, but I was wondering if you grow grapes is all.