In a pile of dirt

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
CarolDee-Saying the word raccoon is followed by a stream of curse words around here. With the heat and humidity we have I put a fan in the barn and a kiddy pool in their run to stand in to cool them off. Sorry you lost your rooster.
Thanks Will, we will be more careful with the rest. We live in town and really have a small yard that I DO NOT want taken over by chickens so DH had them confined to the old dog run.
not much breeze and on the south side. HOT. :( I told him to put them with sons flock and visit them there.

Noah Will

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
If yall don't mind a good old boys 2 cents by way of chickens, they tolerate cold better than an eskimo in an igloo. But heat aint never been a chickens friend. Average running temp for them is 100 to begin with. 4 things vital for them when it's hot is plenty water, shade, cool place to set and be left alone and no corn. They eat corn, it heats them up more. I go over that and toss frozen peas or chill bowls of feed mixed with water to make a mash. Give them that when it's hottest. You'll see less stress in them ( lots of panting ) and that means no slack in egg production oh listen to me just running like a river. I get carried away. Sorry. Hey how about them wild flowers?

Noah Will

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wow, yeah lot of people round here don't care for coons but wow, peanut butter death trap...? That's a new one on me. We just set live traps and have fish and wildlife know. It'll most likely be oked to take by the commission if it's a threat to property or animals.

Noah Will

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Good day to every one! Now that that storm from last night is done and gone...GOOD morning! OK so here's my official "from my garden, I know what it is" picture. Least I knew what it was named when I planted it. Iris, right? Got it a few years passed on the 'we gonna throw them out" cart at Lowes for 50 cents. Wife wanted a garden in this triangle patch of soil so I planted 2 of these, a butch of ground cover...mondo grass...didn't make it...dogs and chickens. Thanks. I didn't plant the ferns, they were there already. I just planted around them.
triangle garden.jpg 100_2467.JPG Across the was on the other side of the brick path is our trio of these shrubs... no idea what they are. Jeanette's mom says it's Mexican heather but I looked it up and it don't look nothing like the pictures.
They're not little shrubs now, stand about 5 1/2 maybe 6 feet. Here's another shot...shamefully showing off my other dog, Dasher

Attachments

• 100_1391.JPG
    100_1391.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 318
  • 100_1391.JPG
    100_1391.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 277

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The white one that looks like an iris is Dietes, with about a dozen common names. My mom grew them and I grew up knowing them as morea lilies.

I have no ideas on your other shrub.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Only problem with peanut butter is that dogs love it too. Other than that, I'd say genius too. I trap and kill a lot of opossums, have seen coons down in the valley, but have yet to see one up here. I also have a lot of coon hunting neighbors with dogs baying all hours of the night...so there ya go. ;) Saw 2 red foxes by the neighbor's pond Sunday morning though!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had large coon footprints in the bottom of Larkas steel trough/pool. She left a lot of dirt floating around in there and it all settled and made the perfect medium for leaving prints. Dh set up his trail cam but we didn't catch it in pix. So far it hasn't bothered anything.

Latest posts