In Honor of Journey11-Post Duct Tape Pictures!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Duct tape actually works really well as clothes patches. :rolleyes:
Washable too.
Kid#2 tapes his work gloves and pants together. His pockets had holes from the razor knife he uses at work- duct tape fixed that. Hole started wearing in the knees- duct tape on the inside fixed that. His second pair were so thin in the rear that when he got the duct tape out I stopped him and said I'd fix them with a patch instead. he looked a little thoughtful, and then asked if I could match the black pants with a black patch.
Well duh.
Then he reminded me of the blue snow pants he wore on a group snowboarding trip when he was 10 that sported big red rectangular rear patches. (think baboon ). Apparently that put a dent in his young ego.
I will hasten to add that I didn't patch the snow pants, they were hand me downs from a friend.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOVE this thread. Duct tape is one of my oldest and dearest friends, a real friend when I'm need over the years. I don't think I have any pics but it's applied all over my world...even have some on the chair I am currently sitting in! :D

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I didn't look at every post hope this applies.
Duct Tape was Originally Named “Duck” Tape and Came in Green, Not Silver
February 20, 2010 Daven Hiskey 10 comments
Today I found out Duct tape was originally named “Duck” tape and originally only came in green, not silver.

Duct tape was originally invented by Johnson & Johnson’s Permacel division during WWII for the military. The military specifically needed a waterproof tape that could be used to keep moisture out of ammunition cases. This is why the originally Duct tape came only in army green.

As to why it was originally called “Duck” tape by the soldiers isn’t entirely known. It is commonly thought that because it was green and shed water, like a duck, the soldiers took to calling the tape “Duck” tape. An alternative theory is that they called it thus because it resembled strips of cotton duck. Which one is true or if it was a combination of the two, isn’t known, but in either case they called this new tape “Duck” tape.
Soldiers began noticing it wasn’t just good for waterproofing ammunition casings, but also worked great for repairing things. They began using it for repairing jeeps, guns, and aircraft. Due to its waterproof nature, strength, and built in adhesive, they even began using it as a temporary means to close up wounds in emergencies; this is fitting because the closest predecessor of duct tape was also a Johnson & Johnson product used as medical tape.

So how did “Duck” tape eventually come to be known as “Duct” tape and be sold primarily silver in color instead of army green? When the soldiers of WWII came home, they brought “Duck” tape with them. Shortly after their return, the housing market was booming. Some manufacture then got the bright idea to start selling it as a means to connect heating and air conditioning ducts; this idea caught on among home manufacturers and they started using it in many of the new homes being built. To allow for this usage, the tapes primary color was switched from green to silver, so that it would match the ducts. Soon the tape began being referred to as “Duct” tape instead of “Duck” tape.
ronically, researchers at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Environmental Energy Division concluded that you should never use Duct tape to seal ducts. Their tests showed that under typical duct conditions, duct tape becomes brittle and will fail quickly. Duct tape also can catch on fire or just smolder and produce toxic smoke. Because of this, it’s usage on ducts has been prohibited by the state of California as well as in building codes in most of the U.S.

Words of Wisdom: “One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop.” –G. Weilacher

If you liked this article, you might also enjoy:

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bonus Facts:

• In March 2003, three people died of suffocation after following Homeland Security’s suggestion of creating a “safe” room from chemical warfare by sealing up all windows and doors with thick plastic and duck tape.
  • Duct tape was famously used to create a fix for the failing Apollo 13’s carbon dioxide filters. Ed Smylie, who designed the scrubber modification, said later that he knew the problem was solvable when it was confirmed that duct tape was on board: “I felt like we were home free. One thing a Southern boy will never say is, ‘I don’t think duct tape will fix it.'”
  • NASA also used Duct tape during the Apollo 17 mission to repair a damaged fender on the lunar rover, which was critical to keep lunar dust from the rover’s rooster tails from damaging the rover.
  • Duct tape is composed of three layers. The top layer is a plastic, polyethelyne; the middle layer is a fabric mesh; the bottom layer is a rubber-based, pressure sensitive adhesive. It was originally manufactured simply by pressing these three layers together.
  • A Walmart store in Springfield, Missouri sells more Duct tape per person than any other place in the world. Springfield, Missouri is also considered the “Duct tape capital of the world”.
  • The original military green colored “Duck” brand tape is still sold and manufactured by Manco, a division of Henkel.
    • Duct tape is now primarily manufactured by over eight different companies, the largest distributor of which is “Duck” brand Duct tape, manufactured by Shurtape Technologies in Hickory, North Carolina.
    • Gorilla Glue brand Duct tape uses a variation on the standard Duct tape sold by other manufacturers. In order to make it stronger, they use two offset layers of fibers, instead of one layer. They also added more adhesive.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spouse tells of how, shortly before his discharge from the army his slacks tore along the super-sharp crease in the knee. The last two months saw his slacks duct taped with a great crease that saw him through until he was sent home.

This was at the time the Berlin Wall was erected and his two (draft) years were extended by a couple of months because he was sent to France in case of trouble. He says there was no way he was buying new army clothes when he should already have been discharged.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've used duct tape to repair a HUGE ileostomy bag for one of my patients(biggest one I'd ever seen before or since), as we had no more in supply and they wouldn't be available over the weekend...the bag had split on the seam. I contacted maintenance, ask them for a roll of duct tape and had it all fixed up and leak proof in a matter of a few minutes...and it stayed that way until the replacements came on Monday.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had to get a pic if this! Hay delivery!

IMG_1924.JPG

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
How to Dispose of White Phoshorus Projectiles
Came across your site and thought I would share. I attached some pics of us disposing of some white phosphorous projectiles at Ali Base, Iraq. To dispose of the white phosphorous (WP) completely, you must break open the projectile and try to launch all of the WP into the air so it will burn. To do so, you place 6 sticks of C-4 underneath it. The adhesive backing doesnt stick too well to dirt, so you must adapt and overcome. Here is where wonderful duct tape comes in handy! Dig a small trench, lay the WP projectile with the C-4 underneath it. Insert your blasting caps, run your det cord, and there you have a successful disposal. - SSgt Eric H., USAF

Iraq_soldiers.jpg
My brother is serving in Iraq. I was scrolling through photos on a military www site hoping to see him the background of a photo when I stumbled on this one. Our new trained Soldiers from Second Battalion, 1st Brigade, 4th Iraqi Army from Samarra, Iraq and the weapon of choice. Can you spot what I see? - Scott L. Phoenix, AZ

Several years ago, I attended the Army's Rappel Master Course at Fort Richardson, Alaska in the middle of January. We were scheduled to rappel out of hovering aircraft for a whole afternoon; although it is totally fun, the seat, which you construct yourself and that is made of 7/16" rope, really puts a hurttin on your crotch area. I didn't want the pain to keep me from rappelling as many times as possible so I duct taped the heck out of my long johns (in the crotch area) and was able to rappel over twenty times that afternoon (approximately 14 times more than any other student was able to muster). - Dave H., Fort Huachuca, AZOn September 11th, I was stationed on the USS Neversail, a newer fast attack submarine undergoing hull valve maintenance. We were in a dry-dock (a floating/sinking pier used to repair the underwater side of all ships) when CNN started showing the pictures of the Worked Trade Centers and the Pentagon. Within an hour we had received official word that we were hurry up and get underway. In the ensuing rush to get the ship sea worthy it appears that one or two hull and backup valves (those valves that let sea water in or keep it out) somehow got overlooked. After the tugs were done pulling us out of the dry-dock and we were on our way to sea, one of our saltier senior personnel saw holes going straight into the boat. The senior command did a quick headshead and decided that since they had all heard of other "pigboats" going to sea with duct tape holding them together, that we could do the same. So we did. 20 minutes later we were all taped up and ready to submerge. The tape not only held out the water, but it continued to do so for 3 months, when we were able to pull in and have proper valves re-installed. - RM2/ss, Submarine CommsWhen I was in fort bragg, we had an aircraft go down due to a stray bullet from a hunter. When we arrived to the sight we noticed there was about a 1 1/2 hole in 2 of the main rotor blades. Our tech inspector looked at it and then handed us a roll of 100mph tape (mil ducktape) and we proceded to tape the holes up. It flew 35 mins at 120 knots back to post. A rotor blade turns at 2500-3500 rpms at 20-40 positive g's. And it held. --- JasonFinished reading your Jumbo Duct Tape Book. Was given to me as a retirement gift...who would a thought I'd get something so useful!. Hmm... Reminded me of the time when I was flying a Navy C-12 (Beechcraft Super King Air B200) on one of my passenger missions. Suddenly an awful noise started coming from outside the cockpit. We landed and noticed the rear portion of the heavy rubber deicing boot had unglued along the leading edge of the wing. With the 265 MPH plus airflow, it was madly flapping against the underside of the wing while we were airborne, thus the "lovely" sound of something beating the airframe to death . Called our Maintenance guys up and they said...what else...just duct tape it up until you reach home. We did, took off and landed a couple hours later. The weather was clear all the way home thus we didn't have to use the deice boot and stress our duct tape repair. So goes another saga... - RustyI was in the Navy I worked on F-14 Fighters. We were in the Mediterranean ocean when Lebanon and Libya started acting up. We flew sorties pretty much around the clock. The Commander of the Fleet wanted as many birds in the air as possible at all times. In order to keep the birds flying, sometimes we would have to be a little creative. I worked night check and one of our birds came back with a wiring problem. The maintenance Chief said he wanted the plane removed from the down status to an up status ASAP! I located the problem pretty quick. It was located somewhere between the forward relay rack and just in front of the vertical stabilizers where the rudders mount to. I didn't have time to locate it any better and fix it right so I ran a wire out of one panel where I spliced it, down the outside of the plane and back into another panel and spliced it there. Ran the high speed wire protector (Duct Tape) over the wire down the plane. The pilots who took it on its next sortie were in a big hurry to get the plane launched and didn't check the top of the jet on there preflight inspection so they never saw the tape. I told the chief I put a temp splice in the wire. When the plane landed, I ripped the wire out as soon as the aircrew got out and started troubleshooting again. The Chief said he couldn't believe how quick I got that bird up and nobody was ever the wiser. - Dave S. AE-2, New Jersey
While serving in Iraq, I was a humvee sergeant commander for 5 guys, i had a .50cal m2 on top, during a firefight, a ak47 rnd hit the pin that holds the .50 cal on the pindle and destroyed it, in the mist of the firefight, i took a roll of Duct and wrapped it around the pintle and shoved a spent casing inside the hole and tapped that down , my gunner rocked 200 rnds of hard recoil and it held up during the entire excursion, but on the way home we where struck by a IED and it flipped the truck over, Unfortunatly the gunner.......................... but apon further inspection the pintle snapped of the top, but the gun was still attached to the pintle from the tape! - SSG Mike M. (RET)

During my twelve years in the Canadian Army, we would never consider ourselves properly equipped until we had at least one roll of duct tape (Known to us as "Gun Tape" - simply an olive drab duct tape) in our packs. The tape was used for everything imaginable. I personally used it for canvas repairs on tents and tarps, for repairs to vehicles such as keeping doors closed, clothing repair and to hold other equipment/weapons together. The training center I was sent to on Canada's east coast is infamous for it's very wet weather. At the time I was a smoker and after losing several packages of cigarettes to the wet, I built a cigarette case out of Gun Tape by covering an existing package with the stuff. In order to ensure my lighter was always handy, I made a lighter case and attached it to my case with a piece of para-cord. I continued to use that package right up to the time I quit smoking over ten years later! - Ian White, New Market Ontario Canada
amry_chair.jpg
After serving me well through my premobilization and then my time in Kuwait, my chair decided to rip halfway through my tour in Iraq! One particularly busy day after my shift was done, I went back to my room to sit in my trusty chair and have a cold drink of water to relax. Everything changed when the seam on the chair burst and I couldn't get comfortable. I got quite upset until I saw a roll of duct tape that I always try to keep handy. A couple of times around the top and side of the chair was all I needed to keep the old chair going and keep me relaxing! Thank you duct tape! - SPC Matthew Austin, Binghamton, NY writing from Iraq

While stationed on the island of Okinawa, Japan in the early sixties, I acquired an old 1951 Chevrolet coupe. The salt water environment had really taken it's toll on the chassis. The doors were almost rusted to the point of being useless, but aircraft safety wire and duct tape (we called it ordinance tape in the Navy at that time), were used to repair it to the state of repair, it passed the required vehicle safety inspection. The right windshield was cracked and a piece of plexiglass saved the day for the inspection also.

I drove it two years, sold it when I transferred stateside and later met the guy I sold it too, and we laughted about the repair lasting the 18 months he owned it..Probably still running over there by another young "North American Bluejacket". - B J Clark, USN ret., Pembroke Ga.One of my sons joined the Army in 2000 for a three-year enlistment. He was a Combat Engineer, so did a lot of field training, including road marches. We were recently discussing marching, boots, and blisters. He told me there were several ways people tried to prevent blisters - wear sheer nylon stockings, turn socks inside out, etc. He said the most effective method he found was to use duct tape. He said that one had to wrap a complete loop duct tape around your foot, attaching it end to end. If you just put on a short strip, it would slip off when feet got sweaty, bunch up and create a new blister area. - Fred Vocasek, Dodge City, KansasBack in the 60's, I worked on the construction of submarines for the US Navy. Shortly (weeks later) after the launch of a sub, we found that the vessel had been launched with a hole in the outer hull. This was unplanned and undiscovered before launch. The tape covered the hole on the inside and the tape had been painted over. In addition the outer hull had been pressure tested before launch, so the sub was certified ready for launch. The tape was discovered after the space between the inner and outer hulls had been repeatedly filled and emptied of water several times. At that point the paint failed and the tape came loose. The tape was still in good shape. Duct tape kept a US Navy submarine afloat!
During the same time frame, piping systems on submarines were tested to several times their working pressure. One test was being conducted when as a part of the system test proved there was no fluid in part of the piping. Although this pipe was supposed to be under test, it was not under pressure. Subsequent checks found that a mechanical joint had been assembled with duct tape across the end of the pipe. This system had been under pressure in the 4 figure range, but the tape didn't fail until the joint was disassembled. - Herb Vaughn

Being a mechanic in the Army I have found several uses for duct tape (100 MPH tape). From fixing split radiator hoses to fixing tears in seats and cargo canvases. So far the best use of duct tape I have witnessed has got to be a tow rope. Coming back from the field we had two vehicles break down our wrecker towed one but we did not have anything to use to tow the other so quickly one of the other Soldiers grabbed his roll of tape. after folding back across itself a few times and twisting it up we tied it to the broke vehicle and towed it seven miles back to base.-- Joe, Colorado.As a member of the Armed Forces, serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom, we find many uses for duct tape. Working on airplanes, I get many small (and sometimes large) cuts on my hands and arms. Not feeling motivated enough to go to the base exchange for a box of bandages, I decided to just use a folded up piece of toilet paper, and a strip of duct tape. this works very well until it's time to remove my make shift band aid and all the hair on my arm comes with it. - Josh M., "The Middle East"When I was in the "Airforce Band of the Midwest" our hems had to be perfectly pleated on our trousers, so we would use duct tape on the inside of the pants leg, in lieu of ironing, if we didn'g have time to press them while we were on the road. We also couldn't have any extraneous loose hairs, etc on our uniforms, so the duct tape came in handy as a makeshift "lint brush" (works better, too!). --- Laura C.From Volume 19, October 2002 of the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association
"I was the Troop maintenance officer and test pilot in late 1969 and early 1970 for the slicks of C/2/17th Cavalry of the 101st Airborne Division operating out of Camp Sally and later out of Phu Bai. Based out of Phu Bai, C Troop, 2/17th Cavalry was on a mission operating out of Quang Tri, North of Hue and South of the DMZ. On one particular mission our Slick Platoon Leader, CPT Mac Jones (CONDOR 03) and CW@ Glenn Dooley (CONDOR 44) his IP on that flight, took a round in the rotor blade. Our unit CO called me to bring up a replacement aircraft and to take the damaged one back to Phu Bai.

The bullet hole on the underside of the blade was the size of a .51 Cal, but the exit on the top of the blade was the size of my fist and surrounded by jagged metal. Maintenance Rule #1: For a helicopter to remain out of premature and sudden ground contact rotor blades need to remain intact. After trimming off the excess jagged metal and inspecting the paint surrounding the jagged hole for hairline cracks I covered the hole, and possibly any hairline cracks I did not see, with duct tape. (We just happened to have a roll of that stuff in the helicopter.) Started the helicopter up and brought it to a hover. No noticeable vibration. Sat it down and motioned for the crew to climb on board. They looked at me as if thinking, "Say what??" After a second invitation they climbed on board, figuring they would miss out on a hot meal if they didn't, and we flew it back to Phu Bai. --- Personal recollections of Lee Brooks (CONDOR 7)This is a true story. All names have been changed to protect the duct taping fools (really I'm not one of 'em). Years ago my submarine the USS DOGFACE (see I told ya I was gonna change some names) was undergoing an upkeep in our home port of Sioux City. It was a usual inport period where we knocked all the old paint off the boat, fixed the rust, and repainted. Well, the was going to be a change of command ( I forget who was changing command) and they decided to do it on our boat. So we had very little notice on this and wouldn't you know it....a smooth military operation occurred where we hurredly fixed everything (we thought) primered and painted the submarine so it was all spic and span for the change of command. Boy, you gotta believe me when I tell you that the sub looked pretty topside. Well, the change of command hits and it goes off without a hitch. So with topside done so quickly we turn our attention to getting the parts and pieces on the inside ready for next deployment. due to some of the work that we had done to the boat we had to take her out on a trial run to ensure that she was watertight at all the worked on pieces. The initial dive takes place everyone on the crew is looking for waterleaks as instructed under our diving bill (water in the people tank is not very conducive to longetivity at sea). Hoorah, No leaks noted so we have to take her a lot deeper over a period of time and all the same checks are taking place. Quite luckily MM1/ss Crotchety ole Man decides to take a smoke break when he notices the side of our hull bowing inward. Being the inquisitive guy that he is he looks closer at the bulge and much to his suprise = DUCT TAPE (The green variety called E.B. Green.) holding strong at a rather deep depth. Well this facilitated a rather quick return to port for us and a repainting and weld over the little hole. I've never doubted a ducttape story after that. --- ex-subguyI used to be in the USAF and worked on jet engines. Whenever a guy left the shop for another shop or squdran we'd duct tape them to a chair or cart and soak 'em with cold water and two trash cans full of ice. --- John F.My friend worked as First Mechanic on a Marine Corps KC-130 from El Toro, CA. On one trip to England, while the rest of the aircrews of the three-plane deployment were at a pub, he went out to the flightline with duct tape in hand, and wrote in tape on the bottom of the other two planes: "We're Gay." Apparently, it was quite a popular trick, as these duct tape antics are actually popular with the aircrews, from what I've been told. --- E.J. HunyadiOrdinance Tape (Military duct tape) comes in really handy when you're running low on rope. If for some reason you lack the rope you need to get something accomplished such as a repel or a climb some of that heavy duty duct tape works really well as rope when it is folded in half. --- PFC. Josh P., U.S.A.F.I work at a US military explosive facility. In the explosive industry, duct tape is commonly referred to as "ordnance tape." Below is a memo about ordinance tape that was just circulated. --- Frank
FYI, Ordnance tape is not really anything special. It is a cloth backed waterproof duct tape, also used as packaging tape. It was previously purchased under a spec PPP-T-60E, Type IV, Class I. This spec was cancelled in 1995 and superceded by an ASTM spec, ASTM D5486, Type
IV, Class I. It is available from GSA in different widths and colors as shown in the 2000 GSA catalog, page 113. Our most popular sizes and stock numbers are shown below. 7510-00-266-5016 Olive Drab, 2" wide, available from window 1 in supply at about $8/roll. Also available from McMaster at about $10.64/roll for a case of 24 under stock number 7612A95. Order with a 2 part stub through supply. 7510-00-890-9872 Olive Drab, 1" wide, not available on station. GSA item only, have not found it in any industrial supply or shipping company catalogs. About $4/roll. Need it? Do a bankcard form for it with the source as "GSA Direct". I spoke to the Safety Department some time ago about the "ordnance tape" spec and they could not give any definitive specification for it. Feel free to update me with any new information if you have it. (Signature removed)

I was on several drill teams in my JROTC unit, and we used to compete alot. Before we could go perform our routine, an official judge from the Army or Marine Corps would inspect the awaiting drill team. This meant we had to rush around to make sure everything was perfect, including the little rubber caps that cover the muzzle on our rifles. And these things ALWAYS fall off. Keeping my favorite motto in mind,(If its not stuck and its supposed to be, duct tape it!) I used a small piece of duct tape on the inside of the cap to keep it on. Also, the rubber butts would get broken during practice before the competition, so for last minute repairs we used thin strips of brown duct tape to keep them on. And yes, both fooled the judge. --- C/MSgt Kyle Arsenault ME-891 AFJROTCWhen I was in the Navy (air wing) we used the green tape to secure fuze wiring and other bits to bombs and missiles after they were mounted on the wing pylons. Naturally, we call the stuff "ordnance tape", another name for your list. --- John Kornegay, CAPT, USNR (ret)Here in Canada we called the military version of Duct Tape "Gun Tape" which is olive green. It is standard military issue for use in the field, and at base. --- Alex Cupples

Read more:http://octanecreative.com/ducttape/PX/index.html

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I didn't look at every post hope this applies.
Duct Tape was Originally Named “Duck” Tape and Came in Green, Not Silver
February 20, 2010 Daven Hiskey 10 comments
Today I found out Duct tape was originally named “Duck” tape and originally only came in green, not silver.
I just figured that they liked Ducks!!! NO, not me...the Ducks that transported soldiers in Europe in an out of the water.
https://www.google.com/search?q=duc...rfwafVAhVnwFQKHaYQA-AQsAQIPQ&biw=1280&bih=915