In my day~

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We had to walk to school, and it really was uphill both ways!!
I loved the cafeteria food. I think my sis and I got reduced lunches.
We had to wear dresses during the 60's, and THAT made for a cooooold walk to school in the mornings.
We were Midtown KCMO, so no buses. All neighborhood schools back then.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
My school was out in the country. I don't know if it was outside the city's school district or what. But I still remember their spaghetti and the big yeast rolls that were homemade. We also had a carton of milk and cookies everyday for afternoon snack.

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I started teaching in the early 70s our cafeteria food was made from scratch and was ofen better than restaurant food. I still use several of the recipes at home. The attempts at cost cutting ran from having it catered in cardboard boxes to cardboard tasting whats-it being the entrees. Each change resulted in fewer and fewer paying students eating hot lunch and the costs rising.

Then came Mrs. O with requirements for whole grains and more raw veggies, but without adding edible taste to the entrees. Fewer payers eating than ever before until the food program is another drain on the district funds.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I started teaching in the early 70s our cafeteria food was made from scratch and was ofen better than restaurant food. I still use several of the recipes at home. The attempts at cost cutting ran from having it catered in cardboard boxes to cardboard tasting whats-it being the entrees. Each change resulted in fewer and fewer paying students eating hot lunch and the costs rising.

Then came Mrs. O with requirements for whole grains and more raw veggies, but without adding edible taste to the entrees. Fewer payers eating than ever before until the food program is another drain on the district funds.

My son started "Buying" school lunches when he liked what they had, even though he had a packed lunch. I found out when I got an automated message from the school saying I was past due for payment on school lunches for $20. I switched him to school lunches, and he discovered that it wasn't always hotdogs, hamburgers and chilli cheese fries, but now there was no tasty packed lunch to fall back on. He begged to have the homemade lunches back this year.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always encourage my grands to check the monthly menu so they know when a favorite is being served and when a home packed lunch is needed to stave off starvation. Skinny, energetic grandson NEEDS more food than the meal program provides so he's almost always carrying.

Latest posts