In Your Potato Patch

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Peanut and Red Thumb are both early.

I'm sure there are others, these are what Ronnigers (Colo.) carries.
Peanut! I believe that was what I was trying to remember.

I was real happy with one they called Amandine fingerling. Unfortunately, it is no longer available in the US. It's my understanding that Amandine is only in Europe now. Rather cruel just to have it here only for a couple of years.

You aren't late, Collector, but it may make sense to have some out in the warmth of your house so that they start sprouting.

Steve

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
lesa said:
No one is growing fingerlings?? They are incredibly delicious right out of the garden and absolutely wonderful canned. Try them, you'll like them! Also planting red potatoes- organics from the grocery store... I get my fingerlings, and soon my sweet potatoes from the Maine potato lady. I figure if she can grow them in Maine, I can grow them in NY!!
We bought Red Fingerling seed potatoes online last year. The crop was fabulous! We only ate 2 meals (to die for!) and saved the remainder for this year's seed potatoes. And let me say...that was tough, 'cause we wanted to gobble them all up!

It worked out. We've planted 100 total feet of Red Fingerlings about 3 weeks ago from those seed potatoes...and they're ALL up. :weee We filled in only 6 hills that had not sprouted earlier this afternoon.

We can't wait! Hopefully we'll be eating plenty, saving more for seed potatoes, and selling a small crop at the farmers market.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Generally speaking fingerlings are not good keepers. However, they make wonderful canned potatoes. It is such a joy to be able to open a jar of delicious potatoes already cooked! Just add a little butter and seasonings- delicious!! Great for those busy (or lazy) nights!

jktrahan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wait, jktrahan, that corn looked like it was knee-high by the 14th of April but you didn't show us!

Good Heavens, Louisiana!
And, Jalapeo!

Now those reds were neither russets nor what I imagine most people think of as "Idaho" potatoes (russets, too). My guess is that those gems were Red La Soda, of the Pontiac family.

I couldn't get the audio but I enjoyed the tour :)!

Steve

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I want to do fingerlings in big (~10 gal) pots. Would one "hill" them (I'd think this would be 1/2 deep planting, then adding soil gradually to fill pot)? Could I dump out the pot to harvest? Would the younger/smaller potatoes (due to the "hill", yes?) be good for next year's seed? Can I do this this late in Louisiana (It's been ~80's for about a week, 65-70 at night... will warm up at night soon)? What's the best soil mix for potted potatoes (sandy composty?)?

I'd not considered doing potatoes until this year, and am kinda clueless. :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can't see why fingerlings wouldn't work in a container. You would hill them just like regular potatoes. Kind of tough to keep those for seed potatoes. I imagine they would be all shriveled up by spring...
If you can put them in the ground, you will have a much larger harvest. Not sure of planting schedule for your area.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
joz said:
Can I do this this late in Louisiana (It's been ~80's for about a week, 65-70 at night... will warm up at night soon)? What's the best soil mix for potted potatoes (sandy composty?)?

I'd not considered doing potatoes until this year, and am kinda clueless. :)
Sounds like your plan would work, filling the pot gradually as the plants grow , and then stopping (if you haven't already run out of pot) when the plants bloom.
As far as soil, ideally potatoes like loamy loose soil on the acidic side, about 5.5 pH, but we've all been quite successful on various crops under less than ideal situations, so I wouldn't lose any sleep at night if you just went with a good basic potting soil.

Yes, you could dump the pot to harvest, in fact that's how it's done when grown in pots! :) Wait until the foliage has died back.

As far as the timing, potatoes are more of a cool season crop, so maybe you could plant later in the season for a late fall harvest.
Somebody in your neck of the woods would have a better feel for the best timing.

Latest posts