Inside Starts, Yours & Mine

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My brussel sprouts are doing good! Onions...not so good. I started a 2nd container of seed because I got such poor germination from the first batch, and now even those that came up look really...wimpy. Like they might be considering croaking. I set up my lights yesterday so maybe they'll perk up.

I also planted 6 basils (genovese and italian large leaf) and 12 hot peppers - an ancho, "long red cayenne" and thai hot dragon.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beautiful Steve!
I have yet to start my peppers. I always feel a little panicked when I see your starts up and leafing out before I even get soil in the flats!
Hopefully today. I said that yesterday, but we got so much stinkin' snow, and dh is away working all day now (yay! at last!) that it took me several hours to clear snow for the animals and off the paths by myself. I was bushed when I came in so I just put my feet up.

And I watch and if you start before me, I am LATE! I like to follow DigitS and I kind of know I am on track. I learned how to grow onions by reading what he has posted and his pictures. :D

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
El valiente chile pequeno!

That was something I liked about Mucho Nacho. I've grown the Early Jalapeno before. I seem to remember it as not all that productive and a little coarse. I hope I'm not doing a good job remembering.

Cabbage and broccoli and kale seed in the mix today. What else? Celeriac and parsley. Can't find the Brussels sprouts!

Steve

I am glad I came and read today. You are the second person I have read that started parsley inside. I did not know that. I have never grown parsley and was going to start it outside, so I am glad and will start some today. My celery seed came yesterday and I am growing that for the first time too.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You will make me blush, GWR. I will be blushing for a different reason if the parsley doesn't work out for you but it is fairly determined stuff.

My onions in the greenhouse don't have too much of a chance to get wimpy, Heather. Surviving the cold for the first month keeps them them sturdy.

@Lavender2, the peppers will go in 4-packs. I may try moving some later into 3 or 4 inch pots. That's the route the tomatoes take. I haven't done that with the peppers.

They don't have the experience that the onions do with the cold but 60 degrees overnight in the greenhouse isn't to their liking. I can't say it makes them sturdy. They like toasty-warm and don't get it! Still, they kinda do, outgrow their 4-packs.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20140315_082114.jpg

I thought it would be kind of fun to show our seed-sowing location. I bet you thought it would be out there on that new greenhouse bench! Nope. It is in the utility room, close to the seeds.

Still having a little trouble holding the tablet straight. Editing in the photobucket app seems ridiculous. Not only cannot I straighten photos in there but if it "thinks" I may have done any editing, it spends about a week "saving" it.

I've got markers to clean and seeds to drop!

Steve
edited to say seed-sowing. seed-starting is on the fridge.

scullery boy

Last edited:

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just restarted my broccoli, Iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, Alaska wilt resistant peas, Sweet 100 hybrid cherry tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, Campbell 1327 tomatoes, and Campbell pear 19 tomatoes, lets hope these ones don't die on me :fl :fl :fl

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, your seed starting is ever so much tidier than mine! I usually do mine in the kitchen and lay newspaper over all surfaces. I don't really mean to fling dirt everywhere, it just looks like that when I'm done.
I meant soil, not dirt. You'd think I'd know the difference after all these years...

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
This picture is from last year. I am doing it a little different. I am using smaller cups. I am not starting as early. I would start cucumbers and squash too early and have a mess. I put things that like cold weather outside on the patio in the sawhorse greenhouse and that has really helped. I have hardly anything in this greenhouse in the kitchen right now and this picture last year was in march. I have it it now tomatoes, peppers, basil, eggplant, a few flowers, kale, not sure what all, but some are not up and they are not big enough to transplant to their own cups yet.
March 12 greenhouse.jpg

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is quite a kitchen electrical outlet, GWR!

@thistlebloom , I hadn't brought in my pot of dirt. . . soil! There are 2 vacuums, right behind me when I stand at that washing machine, no counters but a wide shelf and the door to the basement.

Shoot. Just finished the seed-sowin', with 1/2hr off for lunch. I'm slow - trying to place every seed where it has its best chance. Finished just in time for a little sun out the South Window!
DSCN0383.JPG
Some of these were only brought out here this morning. The Marconi peppers in the nearest tray were begging to come out of the kitchen and catch a little light! They'd better go back there where it is warm tonight. There is more pepper seed in that box and only the Marconi have shown up!

Notice, however the sticker that says "Anaheim." Yep, new seed did great! In fact, the little container on the left has a sticker that says "Early Jalapeno." The other new seedlings are beefsteak tomatoes (with the snapdragons in the window). I'm in business!

The other Marconi and their buddies are almost ready for transplant! Oh boy, this is how I make work for myself! I will have to pull this table over to catch more sun and I know that once all those peppers are in their 4-packs, I've gotta have 'em out in the greenhouse, at least, thru the days. That means firing up the furnace in the mornings . . . checking now to see if my remote thermometer is gonna work this year . . . if not, I'd better be heading off somewhere to buy one . . .

Steve
who should probably have an electrical outlet like GWR and only lights to be concerned with.

Latest posts